Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basket change

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Basket change

    Hi all

    I am using VST baskets, they would be 18 months-2yrs old.

    Is there a need to replace them? If so how often and what's the new trend? Is VST still the pick of the bunch.

    I guess I will need to get my Pullman tamp resized and this has been my cause of delay in replacing the baskets

  • #2
    If you soak them in chems every 2-4weeks. To make sure there this no coffee oils on them. There should last forever. I can't see why you need to change them...

    This is also going to sound bad but it's not meant to be... As for resizing the tamper. 1-2mm off is fine IMHO. I think matching the basket and tamper is over-rated. I agree that 58mm is usually not good enough for the VSTs. But having a slightly bigger one. E.g I've got a 58.4 RB one. Is good enough.

    My 2cents anyway...

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks

      After reading all the posts on here I thought I was silly not to have a matched tamp.

      But now I can't see what all the fuss was about. I now have a single basket I can't use as the tamp is too big.

      Thinking of selling my tamp for a 58mm RB and replacing my baskets.

      Comment


      • #4
        Is you single a VST? It might be cheaper to buy a bigger basket than to sell up everything and change tamper?

        I personally feel after trying a few that the VSTs are still the best baskets around. I was tempted once to get a single VST, but now I just do a double and chuck the other shot. It tastes better. Waste a little coffee but is way more complex than a single could give

        ... For me anyway

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by brokenvase View Post
          If you soak them in chems every 2-4weeks. To make sure there this no coffee oils on them. There should last forever. I can't see why you need to change them...

          ......
          Do you soak them with some backflushing chems - or something specific for the baskets? (And i guess PF's as well?)

          Comment


          • #6
            Yea every 3 weeks I only use the machine on the weekends maybe 4 coffees a week Should I do more often?

            Comment


            • #7
              Yea every 3 weeks I only use the machine on the weekends maybe 4 coffees a week Should I do more often?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bowds1122 View Post
                Do you soak them with some backflushing chems - or something specific for the baskets? (And i guess PF's as well?)
                Yes. Back flush chems. PF as well. Hot water and chems may least 30mins. Make sure the plastic handle on the PF is not soaked.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cool, thanks brokenvase.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kanda712 View Post
                    Yea every 3 weeks I only use the machine on the weekends maybe 4 coffees a week Should I do more often?
                    Have you actually had a problem that you think is related to the baskets, Kanda? If not, don't panic too much.Once every three weeks should be perfectly fine at that usage rate (assuming you rinse/wash them out thoroughly after use). I don't notice a problem with less frequent chemical cleaning of baskets, but I do rinse them quite effectively (I have a naked portafilter).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      No problems,

                      Actually what problems would I see? Are the VST baskets the ones to use or is there any other good brands?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Declaring our commercial interest- Our EP Precision baskets have gathered plenty of fans.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kanda712 View Post
                          No problems,

                          Actually what problems would I see? Are the VST baskets the ones to use or is there any other good brands?
                          My point was that you seem to be looking fix something that ain't broke. Unless you've got obvious problems like grinds ending up in your cup, I'd assume they were in pretty good nick at this age/use. This doesn't mean that there's any harm in experimenting (indeed, it is fun). Some people like the VSTs, some find them a bit hyper-sensitive to dose level (I have one, don't use it so regularly but that's personal preference). I haven't tried Chris's EP Precision baskets (below), but I'm sure others have.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Keep the VST's they rock. You won't need to replace them unless they are broken in some way, ie cracked. In which case it would be pretty obvious you need a replacement.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                              My point was that you seem to be looking fix something that ain't broke. Unless you've got obvious problems like grinds ending up in your cup, I'd assume they were in pretty good nick at this age/use. This doesn't mean that there's any harm in experimenting (indeed, it is fun). Some people like the VSTs, some find them a bit hyper-sensitive to dose level (I have one, don't use it so regularly but that's personal preference). I haven't tried Chris's EP Precision baskets (below), but I'm sure others have.
                              Ok maybe it's the hyper sensitivity you are referring too, and I find its the dosing I have had to prefect!

                              Think I will give Chris's baskets a go. Just have to check the size of my Pullman... Or maybe they may be a sale conning up

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X