Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recharging the built in softener - is this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recharging the built in softener - is this right?

Hi guys.

Every week I pull the softener thingy out from the tank and stick it in a glass of really strong salt water for an hour... Is this the best way to recharge it?

sorry for the novice question.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Never mind.... I found this thread which explains it.

Best way to recharge the in-tank water softener - Espresso Machines • Home-Barista.com

thanks

Comment

Personally, I would stay away from the dishwashing powder mentioned in that thread (and most certainly from dishwashing liquid).
      You could possibly use pure sodium percarbonate (unscented napisan) but google tells me its not very effective at regenerating ion exchange resins. Ive used it for cleaning brewing equipment, but it may be hard to get all traces of it out of the resin bed.

Using a mixture of seasalt and deionised water is your best bet. Id probably saturate the solution (I.e. add more salt than you can dissolve). The plus here is that your unlikely to ingest a hazardous amount of salt by mistake

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
        ........Using a mixture of seasalt and deionised water is your best bet. Id probably saturate the solution (I.e. add more salt than you can dissolve). The plus here is that your unlikely to ingest a hazardous amount of salt by mistake
        Thanks mr jack. Do I just soak the resin filter in a glass of strong salt water? Or should I be drawing a whole tank full of the salt water solution through the resin filter?

Comment

Yep. I'd probably avoid putting saline through the pump, just as a precaution. Movement of the filter or fluid should hasten the process though.

Comment

Working...
          X