Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat up time....& the VBM junior

Hopefully this is an easy one.....
    I'm all but sold on the VBM junior.... My brother in law has one & the brews he makes are outstanding in my humble opinion. Size, aesthetics all ticks for me with limited bench space. The only thing that has me thinking is the heat up time?
    Are all HX machines the same in terms of needing a fair amount of time before the first brew? He sets his with a timer to come on at 5.30am each day which is a good idea, but if I'm cranking for a spontaneous brew in the arvo, maybe not so good?
    im upgrading from a saeco via Venezia which has served me well, and I want this next machine to be 'no regrets'.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the actual wait times, and if there is other comparable quality machines out there that I should consider in light of this? Gotta keep on or under the 2k mark as well.
    or am I being too picky.....
    Thanks for your ideas
    Link

Hi Link, I had a Junior, great machine. Like your BIL i ran it on a timer. 30 minutes is ok, 45 is better. Once the boiler is up to temp [which doesn't take very long] you can run water through the group to speed things up. Heating the 4.5 kilos of brass in the GH is where the time is. All E61 type machines take time.

Steve.

PS. it is worth the wait :-)

Comment

Thanks Steve.
      I thought that would be the case. I guess my coffee addiction is pretty well tuned to the clock anyway, so I should be right with a timer.
      cheers for the advice. Sold!

Comment

I'm glad you asked this question. I am also looking at upgrading. I wonder if the larger Rocket Giotto would take even longer than the VBM junior to heat up? I'd appreciate feedback from Rocket owners on minimum time needed from the morning alarm going off & turning the machine on to having a heartstarter in the gob.

Comment

Hah steve......I sold my Junior & purchased a Rocket EVO. I feel it heats a little quicker but only a little. Still need to allow for the 30~45 minutes. Maybe some of the electrically heated GH's are faster but at the end of it "be patient grasshopper" :-)

Steve

Comment

Grab a timer and have your machine wake 30min before you do and all will be well.

Comment

Logical thinking would lean me to think the VBM Junior should heat faster than most HX E61 machines due to its physically smaller size....but we're splitting hairs here.

Love my VBM Junior. Mine is on a timer for 45mins before I hit the kitchen in the morning. If I worked from home, I'd just leave it on all day

Comment

Originally posted by nabsie View Post
                Logical thinking would lean me to think the VBM Junior should heat faster than most HX E61 machines due to its physically smaller size....but we're splitting hairs here...
                The critical part for heat up time is the group. So, for any "standard" E61 they will all take a similar time to heat up..depending on the exact configuration and performance of the thermo syphon circuit.
                You can speed things up a little by covering the group with a "cosy" ( tea towel )..and a few flushes..
                ...but the auto timer is the best option.

Comment

cheers for the advice. Ive got her, and grabbed a timer. Very happy with the size and aesthetics.
                  Does everyone leave the handle in overnight to heat up too?
                  I can see this is going to take some practice, my BIL makes it look easy on his.....my 1st two shots were horrific! 3 and 4 getting better...... milk texturising......hmmmm, work in progress!
                  Link

Comment

Nice one daledugahole, congrats!

You'll get the hang of it all...practice, practice, practice. You could try steaming water with a drop of dish washing liquid to get the hang of steaming. The angle of the holes in the steam wand tip are like 120 degrees so this takes some getting use too.

I've just upgraded my timer to a Belkin WEMO which allows me to turn the machine on over the internet if I'm out and about and feel like a coffee when I get home

Comment

I don't leave the group handle in. Just flush some hot water through it.
                      Yes, I'm still working on my milk technique. I have more success with the 600 ml jug than the 300 ml one. So much steam after using an EM6910!
                      Keep practising!

Comment

Ha! I only need to put my 1 cup milk jug near the steamer and it burns.....
                        That wemo thing looks unreal, what a great idea. Going to grab one of those now.
                        Did your machines come with a 'blind' I think thats what its called handle.... mine came with the double pour, single and a flat screen handle included, which was an unexpected bonus. My 'oracle' from a local roastery tells me to leave it in the kit bag for a while, as they are quite unforgiving........

Comment

Originally posted by Mono View Post
                          Hah steve......I sold my Junior & purchased a Rocket EVO. I feel it heats a little quicker but only a little. Still need to allow for the 30~45 minutes. Maybe some of the electrically heated GH's are faster but at the end of it "be patient grasshopper" :-)

Steve
                          I agree with Mono, the Rocket does need a good 30-45 mins for warmup, I have done a few early brews 15-20mins, the espresso seemed ok, thought the steam wasn't up to scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by daledugahole View Post
                            Ha! I only need to put my 1 cup milk jug near the steamer and it burns.....
                            That wemo thing looks unreal, what a great idea. Going to grab one of those now.
                            Did your machines come with a 'blind' I think thats what its called handle.... mine came with the double pour, single and a flat screen handle included, which was an unexpected bonus. My 'oracle' from a local roastery tells me to leave it in the kit bag for a while, as they are quite unforgiving........
                            I ordered a WEMO yesterday, can see these things taking off in the CS world!

Comment

Don't forget the after dinner shot, that's one of my favorites for the day. Turn on your machine when you get home from work and it will be nice and piping hot once dinner is cooked and eaten.

Comment

Working...
                              X