Heavy Wallet - Rocket Giotto Vs Lelit PL60T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Wallet - Rocket Giotto Vs Lelit PL60T

I am feeling the urge to drop cash today on a machine so that when I pick up my Mazzer Mini tomorrow I have something to do with it.
    I'm torn between the Lelit as it is a dual boiler with PID for an excellent price. On the other hand the Giotto seems to get great reviews and has an excellent name and is also $800 more expensive which is really hard for me to get to financially and mentally (probably more mentally).
    Help me Obi-Wan Snob, you're my only hope.

I would go the lelit, it has all the features you need to develop your skills and make really nice coffee, I don't think you would ever see/feel/taste the $800 extra of the Giotto. Plus a PID is a really nice feature for comparing results. Personally I think giotto's are overrated and people often buy because of the hype, the name and the look of it. What's in the cup will make the difference and I think the lelit will give you great value and results.

Comment

Thanks Wynton, that helps a lot. I guess I really am looking for justification that the Rocket is going to blow my mind over the Lelit. I know there's always diminishing returns as you go up in the market.

Comment

Rather than go on opinion, I'd suggest you chat with someone knowledgable on both re pros and cons and with experience of each.

The Giotto weighs 2 x the Lelit and is built to a different level of finish. Both produce great coffee. It all comes down to what you want. Ideally, view and sample them. The only places I can think of where you'd see them together is chez us and Jetblack.
        Last edited by TC; 19 July 2013, 09:57 AM. Reason: extra info

Comment

I hope you'll be in your shop today Chris, I'm heading to Northcote...

Comment

Originally posted by astr0b0y View Post
            I am feeling the urge to drop cash today.....
            I could help you lighten that heavy wallet with some magic beans, they always deliver that godshot, never fail. Seriously.
            Last edited by CafeLotta; 19 July 2013, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Wallet lightened; thanks Chris from Talk Coffee.
              I went with the Lelit despite heavy pressure from another customer to go with the Giotto - there's always next time. I've already pulled my first good shot, even though I used a crappy Krupps grinder. Loving it.
              Looking forward to the jitters tomorrow after the Mazzer is set up.

Comment

I went with the Lelit despite heavy pressure from another customer to go with the Giotto - there's always next time. I've already pulled my first good shot, even though I used a crappy Krupps grinder. Loving it.
                Thanks for your support astr0b0y...

As always, it's about the right machine for you at the right time.

I wish you many pleasurable shots and now all we need is the photos which prove it!

Comment

The Lelit is a great choice. Down the track you can fiddle with the temps and see what difference it makes to the shot. The Lelit will come up to temp in less than 15 minutes and will produce consistent results every time, and is great when you want to steam some milk to make a hot chocolate!

Plus it's light enough that you can take it with you on holidays!

I still miss mine.

Sniff

Comment

Hey astr0boy did you get the pl60t v2 or the v1? Looking forward to hearing more about it in action!

Comment

I got the V2.
                      I am very happy with it and I think it will last me for some time before I get the urge to upgrade. Filling the reservoir is the worst thing about the Lelit however having taken a look at many of the other brands they all have a similarly poor set up. Plumbed next time will sort that out! The temperature seems quite stable but does drop 5 or 6 degrees as soon as I begin pulling a shot but I'm sure what's delivered to the basket is pretty spot on. The steam wand shoots about 2 ml of water each time it's opened however is isn't a major issue to me and was pointed out to me by Chris before I made my decision. I have placed my crockery on top of the Lelit and have found they don't warm up too much, even when the machine has been on for a couple of hours.
                      Because I spent many years making espresso in restaurants the learning curve all centred around setting up the grinder. Back when I was making coffee 15 years ago most cafes (in NZ) used only one bean type so the grinder was set up initially and never needed to be changed. I'm still not quite there yet but I only pulled about 4 bum shots out of the 1/2 kilo I got form Chris which ran I went through over the weekend .
                      Steam pressure is just right for the little 2 cup jug I have, even when just making one cup I find it very easy to make micro-foam from full cream, light and soy.
                      I would recommend this machine to anyone looking for an upgrade from low end unit to enter the mid range spend. The deco styling is nice as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X