Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabcilio S24

Hi all,

Just picked up a very clean Rancilio S24 for a bargain. I was wondering if anyone with experience in these oldies could help.

Firstly, everything seems to be working as they should. I filled up the reservoir as per instruction manual and turned it on. It started making noises (sucked the water into the tank I guess) for 15 sec and then stopped with power light still on. I noticed after about 5 min that pressure gage is going up until it reached 1.3 bar then "click", it stopped.

I turned the steam wand on and got a good steam flow (very powerful!), also checked the hot water tap and got boiling water. I noticed pressure gage is dropping lower (seemed normal as I was testing the steam). When the gage got to 1 bar, I heard another click and it went back up to 1.3 bar and stopped. So far everything seemed to be normal but I was wondering if 1.3 bar on these machines are are ok or should I somehow adjust it to 1.5b?

Also I noticed when the pressure dropped to 1.1 (after using the steam or hot water), what happen then if I want to pull a shot since it only start going back up if it hit 1 bar? does that mean I have to start pulling the shot at 1.1b?

I also dont know the location of OPV. I can take a photo of the internals if required. Any guidance would be appreciated. Need to get this adjusted so I can buy some decent beans from Andy.

p.s, I currently have a small Isomac Granmacinio grinder but will upgrade later.

Cheers

Well I just opened the top and found the pressurstat, had the machine one so adjusted the valve spring while watching the gage. Its now sitting on 1.5b, but slowly going down at the rate of 0.1b@10sec. Can see a small pressure safety pin on the top of the tank and it let steam out very slowly. This causes the thermostat to restart the heating element in the tank as soon as the gage drop to 1 bar. Is this normal? why cant the machine sit on set pressure if not used? Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

Hey Snip3r,

Hope your S24 brings you as much joy as mine does to me. They're built like a tank, and the parts are readily gettable from the likes of CoffeeParts.

As for your pressure problem, can't say I can pin-point the problem directly; but it's sounding like maybe an anti-vac valve issue. Not too sure though, and don't take my word as law as I'm by no means a technician. But it certainly shouldn't be losing that much pressure that quickly. Mine maybe loses around 0.1b@60sec when I first start it up, but after it's heated up after around 20 mins of no action you can't even notice how slow it's going down.

Do you know much about the history of your machine? Was it commercial? How many shots did it usually pull per day? How long has it been out of action before you started her up? etc. All this helps to isolate any possible issue internally.

WHATEVER THE CASE, you definitely will want to descale her yourself, especially if there's no water softener in the water tank (this is usually attached to the inlet hose in the tank). These machines, along with EVERY brand of coffee machine, are renowned for scale build up if not properly looked after. You can pick up descaler almost anywhere, and it's fairly straightforward to flush through the system - but is pretty time consuming. Just make sure to remove the water softener when you do though, as it can stuff up the resin.

If you don't have a water softener, get one. If you have one, run it through a salt shower/bath (as per the manual). This will refresh the resin to minimise scale build up in the machine.

Now...depending on the colour the descaler comes out of your machine, and how confident you are, you may need to completely open her up and give the boiler, element, probe, and anything else that looks like barnacles, an overnight citrus/descaler bath. This is the only way to be 100% sure that all/as much as possible of the scale is gone.

If your not confident enough, don't worry there's heaps of technicians out there who are. Peruse the sponsors here to find someone local. It might cost a few hundred $, but in the end you know the machine is literally as good as new, and will last for many more years to come.

Hope this helps, and good luck bud.

-Aaron

Comment

Working...
      X