Rocket Giotto Premium Plus v2 steam issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Giotto Premium Plus v2 steam issues

Six months ago I bought a near-new Rocket Giotto Premium Plus v2, it was an unwanted prize in a Barista competition. It has replaced my Expobar Minore II.

I know it's not a twin-boiler machine, but I did expect better steaming performance. Reviews tend to say that it will steam "endlessly" which is an obvious exaggeration, but certainly is an indication of decent performance.

There's no issue steaming small quantities of milk ie 200ml, but typically if I do three shots and then steam 400-500ml of milk, it just dies before hitting temperature. At idle, the steam pressure gauge sits on around 1.2. Before finishing 400-500 ml milk it's just about bottoming out and recovery time is not that quick. I'm reluctant to boost the steam pressure up to 1.3 or 1.4 as 1.2 should be perfectly fine. Does this sound like a repair job is required?

-PW

I have a PP and it sounds fairly normal, half a litre of milk is a huge amount to steam.

Comment

Hi pwp,

Sorry to say it, but you have unrealistic expectations.

The machine is designed to pull 2 shots and then texture milk for them. It will do this pretty much endlessly. If a flight of shots is pulled and then left to deteriorate before texturing a bucket of milk, you will run out of steam with this and any other prosumer machine.

Ask Andy about the time he went 40hrs straight and used 20kg of coffee and a van full of milk to run his machine as it was designed to work.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, maybe I should have got the Rocket R58 Dual Boiler...but an extra $1200, ouch! It was either that or kept repairing my gutsy old Expobar Minore II.
        When I got the Rocket Premium Plus v2, the VBM Domobar Super was my short-list alternative. Would the VBM deliver similar steam performance to the Rocket?

-PW

Comment

hi pwp,

I don't think you would have seen dramatically different performance. Best bet is to rexamine your technique: 2 shots/2 milk and then go again...

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, well yes...in my profession (not a barista) technique is absolutely central to success, along with affinity for your equipment. Same/same I guess....

-PW

Comment

Hi PWP,
              I have the evo and at times I also feel the steam power is a little lacking but it gets the job done. I often wonder if a more powerful element may help the steam keep up with things. Then I remind myself that the designers made it with this wattage element for a reason. :-)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                hi pwp,
                Best bet is to rexamine your technique: 2 shots/2 milk and then go again...

Chris
                Yep, there is a nice video on the Jet Black website of them doing 6 cappuccinos using the technique suggested by Chris with a similar machine (actually an ECM Technika) and I think it takes around 5 minutes to do the 6 drinks. Scottie Callahan also mentions on his Giotto instructional video that he doesn't believe in steaming large quantities of milk, rather he like to have a number of small jugs.

One query I do have is whether the 'cool touch' steam wand decreases the steam power slightly compared with a regular wand?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtW View Post
                  Yep, there is a nice video on the Jet Black website of them doing 6 cappuccinos using the technique suggested by Chris with a similar machine (actually an ECM Technika) and I think it takes around 5 minutes to do the 6 drinks. Scottie Callahan also mentions on his Giotto instructional video that he doesn't believe in steaming large quantities of milk, rather he like to have a number of small jugs.

One query I do have is whether the 'cool touch' steam wand decreases the steam power slightly compared with a regular wand?
                  Generally yes because the steam is going through a smaller diameter "inner" pipe in the wand. But the extent of the difference would depend on the whole steam system from boiler to wand tip on the given machine.

charlie

Comment

Working...
                  X