Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isomac Mondiale leaky steam wand

Hi all
    My steam wand is leaking again. A few years ago I changed the o-rings myself but the leak started again soon after. For the next two years I had my machine serviced professionally once a year and the leaking stopped for almost a year each time. This year I thought I'd try do it myself again so I ordered another set of o-rings. To install, I found the bit of food-grade grease that I've had left in the cupboard from last time, and replaced the 3 small and 2 larger o-rings in the valve section, giving each one a rub with some grease before fitting it, then replaced the one in the ball joint and tightened it all up. I overtightened the ball joint and it was a bit stiff to move the wand but the leaking was fixed and was good for a few weeks but then started leaking again. So I used my last set of o-rings and did the job again. Leak stopped again, but this time it only lasted 2 days and is now as bad as ever. By wiggling the flick tap thingo that these Mondiale machines use, I can sort of find a spot where the hissing nearly stops but it doesn't shut off completely. Anyone have any tips on what I might be doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Geoff

Originally posted by Cooper69S View Post
    Hi all
    My steam wand is leaking again. A few years ago I changed the o-rings myself but the leak started again soon after. For the next two years I had my machine serviced professionally once a year and the leaking stopped for almost a year each time.
    Geoff
    I suspect you've answered your own question Cooper.

Comment

Sounds like the clearances are not right and the valve is always slightly on as the lever is compressed too much. Loosening the collar should allow a bit more play in the lever and stop it dribbling, then you just have to find a way of locking it there. Unless the tap seal itself or the closing spring is gone, then you will need to rebuild the whole valve

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
        I suspect you've answered your own question Cooper.
        If you mean I should just take it to a professional again, I guess I can, but the place I was taking it to is about 150km away and they keep the machine for about a week usually, so if I can do it myself that would be preferable. Also they're not open weekends so I need to get my wife to take a day trip to drop it off then again to pick it up. There is another coffee machine place I'm planning to take it to so they can have a look at the temperature stability of the machine, and they could sort out the steam issue too I'm sure, but they're 200km away.

Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
        Sounds like the clearances are not right and the valve is always slightly on as the lever is compressed too much. Loosening the collar should allow a bit more play in the lever and stop it dribbling, then you just have to find a way of locking it there. Unless the tap seal itself or the closing spring is gone, then you will need to rebuild the whole valve
        I tried loosening it slightly but it was worse. I'm waiting for it to cool down and I'll pull it apart for another look. As for rebuilding the valve, I assume that just means buying a new valve? I don't see anything in there that can be "rebuilt" as such...?? the only parts are the o-rings, lever, spring, and the inner and outer metal valve sections (not sure what the correct name for those parts is).

Thanks
        Geoff

Comment

There is an outfit in Melbourne that put a 'kit' into the old Mondiale steam/hw toggle assemblies.

You can also retro fit the new design, if you want a complete replacement.

If you're interested in talking to them, send me a pm; they are not sponsors.

Comment

I pulled it apart again and there seems to be too much clearance around the small O-rings in the piston part of the valve, like they're slightly too small/thin. Is there any problem with just using thicker o-rings, if such a thing exists??

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
            If you're interested in talking to them, send me a pm; they are not sponsors.
            Pm sent, thanks
            Last edited by Cooper69S; 8 February 2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I went to a hydraulics place today and bought some thicker o-rings and the leak has stopped. The question is how long it will last this time. Wait and see...
              Be interesting to see what these "kits" are though...

Comment

Working...
              X