Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESE Pod "adaptor" for E61

Hey all..

I have a VBM Dobomar e61 machine. My wife is getting VERY sick of coffee grounds all over the kitchen bench and I was thinking of just selling it and getting a nespresso machine (GASP!).

Then a brilliant idea came to me, can I get an adaptor/portafilter to allow me to use ESE Pods in an e61 group-head?... From googling, it would appear that I can - just having trouble tracking down the specifics (i.e is it only a basket? Full portafilter, or do i need to change components in the grouphead as well)

If anybody can give me some pointers, point me to a comprehensive tutorial or just where I can buy an "all in" kit it would be very much appreciated!!!

Years ago I once had a Francis Francis Illy Espresso machine that used the ESE pods, which Illy also provide. It was a whole different Portafilter with a shallow basket that fitted the ESE pods. You needed to buy a differently configured portafilter if you wanted to use ground coffee. It was not an E61 group-head unfortunately, so can't give any advice for E61 equipment specifically.

Worked really well from a messiness perspective, but suffered the same issues as any pod, once you had unsealed the tin of pods, it started out reasonably, but the freshness did not last long at all, although maybe better than a Nespresso.

Have you though of getting one of the small Dyson or equivalent hand held rechargeable vacuums? Really handy for cleaning up after yourself quickly.

GrahamK

Comment

It's not a big problem - keep the VBM and replace the wife. A good woman (or even women, if you're lucky) is/are much easier to replace than a good espresso machine.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
        It's not a big problem - keep the VBM and replace the wife. A good woman (or even women, if you're lucky) is/are much easier to replace than a good espresso machine.
        Classy...

OP, have you tried cleaning up after yourself? Serious question.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
          I posted a reply along the lines of this post and then deleted it due to decency and the vast amounts of Chardonnay that I had consumed whilst browsing the interweb. Reminds me of an advert I saw in the Isle of Lewis: Wife wanted, must have own boat and outboard, please supply photo of boat and servicing logbook of outboard.

Comment

Come on guys, seriously, pod adaptor for an E61? bit like putting training wheels on a Hayabusa, why would you do it?

As far as coffee grounds on the bench is concerned, a quick wipe down after each session will solve the problem, sounds to me like you haven't been properly house broken, if you leave the crap for your wife to clean up I don't blame her for arcing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
              Come on guys, seriously, pod adaptor for an E61? bit like putting training wheels on a Hayabusa, why would you do it?

As far as coffee grounds on the bench is concerned, a quick wipe down after each session will solve the problem, sounds to me like you haven't been properly house broken, if you leave the crap for your wife to clean up I don't blame her for arcing up.
              A $4 recycled eco friendly paintbrush would do the job?

Comment

Its a compromise really. You either want good coffee, or you want convenience. You have to decide which.

There is no fresh coffee without mess irrespective of the way it is brewed (doesn't need to be espresso).

Cleaning up after each sitting and even during the sitting, is part of the deal I'm afraid.

The other compromise is to buy an auto. That way you still use fresh beans but really, that would be a retrograde step from the good coffee you can currently have, to a passable coffee. We are all individuals, but I wouldn't do it.

Oh and to stick strictly to the point: I you really want to buy a pod adaptor for your machine, you only need call site sponsor Coffee Parts and they will be able to help.

Comment

Can it be done? Sure thing...

Why you'd bother I don't understand. It's like buying a Ferrari and attempting to run it on diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamK View Post
                    Years ago I once had a Francis Francis Illy Espresso machine that used the ESE pods, which Illy also provide. It was a whole different Portafilter with a shallow basket that fitted the ESE pods. You needed to buy a differently configured portafilter if you wanted to use ground coffee. It was not an E61 group-head unfortunately, so can't give any advice for E61 equipment specifically.
                    I occasionally service an Astoria Sibilla belonging to one of our customers that use Illy pods in the style of portafilter you describe. Each group head is fitted with an adapter that locks into the group like a portafilter, then the pod portafilter fits into the adapter, with a 60-something mm o-ring type group seal.

Comment

Working...
                    X