Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang! Cold E-61 group head - Diadema Reale

Hi all
    This is weirding me out. Picked up a few washers and the top and bottom pins to do a service on the group on my Reala, as the surfaces are worn and washers are old. Just took the whole top unit out (big nut at the top), unscrewed the square brass pin, realised the replacements I bought were not quite the right ones (larger thread - just how many variations do they need to have!) so just re-assembled.

But now both last night and this morning - the group won't heat up at all when the machine is turned on - i.e. stone cold! Boiler is hot, pressure is fine, steam is good - but even after an hour turned on, the group & P/f is cold, until I start running water through it. Had a brief google - found something on HB about possible airlock? Cold this be the problem? Had the group fully stripped a few weeks ago and no issue … where to start?

Any ideas?

Cheers Matt

Most likely thermosiphon stall. Run some water through the group and come back in 15 min.

Comment

Thanks Chris
      I'll have ago

Comment

So, ran lots of water through the system. Also cracked the mushroom and back flushed until water ran out the top, just in case I'd created an airlock somehow. Guess it is a little like bleeding the brakes on the car!
        Anyway - burnt my hand on the group at morning brew-oclock - so guess we're back in business!
        Thanks Chris

Comment

Winner! Glad all is well.

Comment

Pleased to hear you got it sorted Matt, have not yet experienced the problem, one to store in the memory bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
              Pleased to hear you got it sorted Matt, have not yet experienced the problem, one to store in the memory bank.
              Too true - it was pretty baffling at the time!
              I couldn't think what it could have been when there is no electrical component attached, or pump running - but when you actually look at the design and see the huge gasket between the body and group, you realised that the only thing that could transfer heat between the boiler and group is the water inside …

So I'm guessing that just the heating of the boiler creates some natural circulation through the group caused by the temp differentiation - unless there's an airlock … ?

Comment

So, happened again this morning.
                I now suspect that the worn top pin combined with a worn washer means that the top chamber of the group is now not sealing properly (probably due to partially pulling it apart but then not having the right bits to re-install fully - they never seat properly again when you do this!) allowing water/pressure to drain out overnight from the charged thermo-syphon system. Flushing the system as it was warming filled it up again, so I at least got a properly extracted espresso this morning but I'll be chasing the new parts today to hopefully get this properly sorted

Comment

Yeppers- if you have partial seal on the group pistons, it's a given.

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                    So, happened again this morning.
                    I now suspect that the worn top pin combined with a worn washer means that the top chamber of the group is now not sealing properly (probably due to partially pulling it apart but then not having the right bits to re-install fully - they never seat properly again when you do this!) allowing water/pressure to drain out overnight from the charged thermo-syphon system. Flushing the system as it was warming filled it up again, so I at least got a properly extracted espresso this morning but I'll be chasing the new parts today to hopefully get this properly sorted
                    Only a leak from the either seal under the big "mushroom nut", or the seal washer on the valve at the bottom of the "mushroom",.. would cause the thermosyphon to leak or get an air bubble. But you should notice an obvious water leak from those when hot, if that is the case.
                    Fortunately, those are the quickest / easiest to replace.
                    But, yes, a group service sounds like the best solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X