Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera shower screen screw

Hello all,

I'm having a very tough time removing the screw that holds the shower screen onto my Bezzera BZ35, I have a large screwdriver that fits perfectly but it will not budge. I don't want to add a bar into the equation for fear of shearing it off.

Please don't tell me it's a reverse thread screw!

And tips on getting it off?

Thank you,

Ollie

It will probably shear if you use more force.

My tech Phil generally employs a rattle gun and they usually move.

Comment

You could try putting some force on the screwdriver (ie. twisting as per normal) and then hitting the top of the handle with a hammer. Keep in mind if its a plastic handle it might shatter, but some good quality screwdrivers will have a steel through shaft to the top of the handle for just this reason. It will create an impact/jarring force that might help loosen it, very similar to the kind of impact from a rattle gun.

Just be careful not to round out the head of the screw as that will just make matter worse. Impact drivers are available from most good tool shops, and they are designed for just this kind of application, you put in the right driver, hold onto it, apply pressure and hit with a hammer......... Having said that I was a diesel mechanic for ten years and never needed one, always managed to get screws out using a screwdriver and hammer

Good Luck and let us know how you go

Comment

Are you trying to remove it cold or warm?

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm a plumber by trade and so have many tools to try, the impact screwdriver will be next.

I've also tried both hot and cold but no luck so far.

Round 2 tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on

Comment

I too have had trouble removing my shower screen screw. I now only lightly tighten it.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by olliesanders View Post
              Thanks for the help. I'm a plumber by trade and so have many tools to try, the impact screwdriver will be next.

I've also tried both hot and cold but no luck so far.

Round 2 tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on

I wouldn't use an impact driver.

a) Bend one half of the shower screen right down (around the screw)
              b) Then bend the other half of the shower screen down as well
              c) With screw driver end inserted in the slot of the screw, turn both the screwdriver AND the "butterflied" shower screen at the same time.

This invariably works.

As someone said above in a round about way, don't do an "arnie" when doing the screw up again on the new shower screen.

This is the kind of invaluable expertise that you usually don't gain without doing hard learned time in service.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Thanks TOK, it worked a treat!

It was clearly the screen sticking to the head that caused the problem, when I'd bent it down I was able to unscrew it by just turning the screen, no screwdriver needed

Time to get cleaning!
                Attached Files

Comment

Morning Ollie, pleased to hear you got the screw undone, they can be a real problem.

A suggestion, why not replace the screw with a stainless countersunk socket screw, all you need is an Allen key to remove/replace them, no more stuck screws and damaged screw slots, makes the job easy.

Pics here https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...w=1344&bih=671

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    generally employs a rattle gun and they usually move.
                    This is what I do too...

Much easier, and the rotary hammer action works very quickly too.

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                    X