Magister Stella - Texturing Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magister Stella - Texturing Milk

So during my quest for a "Big Boy" coffee machine, whilst looking online for Rocket's and Domobar Juniors, I stumbled across a second hand Magister Stella It's a HX unit with a 1.3L boiler.
    I did a little research on the unit but found little info in Australia.

I acquired the machine from a lovely gentleman in Sydney, who had it warmed up for an hour prior to my arrival last night. We talked coffee for a while and he was kind enough to let me pull a shot and showed me around the machine (inside and out) before I made the decision. I was very impressed with the machine and took it home. He even threw in a Synesso 18g basket.

I let the machine warm up for 30 minutes this morning and after tampering with the grind for a a bit, I pulled an absolute ripper shot. I am already noticing a whole bunch of tasting notes that I could not find with my old Sunbeam 6910.

The only thing I need to get used to is the steam arm. It warms the milk much quicker than the 6910, as expected. The tip has three holes on the side, rather than one in the centre. I'm having issues stretching the milk with a velvety texture, like I could with the Sunbeam. I can't get it even close to good enough to pour a rosetta.

My question for folks out there with a similar steam arm, is there a "sweet spot" for the wand to sit in the milk jug, to start the spinning motion or should I try and find a replacement tip with just the one hole?

I'm thinking I should just buy a big bottle of milk and practice with this machine but I'm interested in finding out the benefits of having a steam arm tip with the multiple holes?

Very happy otherwise.

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,
    Jono

I saw that one on gumtree - congrats on the purchase!

It's all about practice. Ask 5 people on here how to steam milk and you'll get 6 different answer - none right and none wrong.

Having said that, on my Alex Duetto - which steams 150ml of milk in about 9 seconds - I find angling the wand to the right side of the jug and tilting the jug slightly to the right and slightly to the back works for me.

Youtube some techniques and practice. Try water with a drop of detergent to save on milk.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bames View Post
      I saw that one on gumtree - congrats on the purchase!

It's all about practice. Ask 5 people on here how to steam milk and you'll get 6 different answer - none right and none wrong.

Having said that, on my Alex Duetto - which steams 150ml of milk in about 9 seconds - I find angling the wand to the right side of the jug and tilting the jug slightly to the right and slightly to the back works for me.

Youtube some techniques and practice. Try water with a drop of detergent to save on milk.

Have fun.

Cheers Bames,

Most of the machines I've used before, I just angled the wand over towards the side and the milk started spinning immediately. I'd achieve a nice velvety finish and pour my rosetta.
      Unfortunately the Stella won't spin the milk with my old technique so I'm going to have to change the position in the pitcher. I found a video this afternoon of a similar steam wand and the barista had the jug sitting on the drip tray and the steam arm dropped vertical, in the centre of the jug. This seemed to work great. I'm going to try this tonight and see what happens.

Comment

Hi Jono

Have a look at this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/milk-froth...microfoam.html

Cheers

Sniff

Comment

Originally posted by SniffCoffee View Post
          Hi Jono

Have a look at this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/milk-froth...microfoam.html

Cheers

Sniff
          Thanks, Sniff. I just tried it, as per the link you sent and it worked a treat. Lovely textured milk in about 10 seconds. Cheers!

Comment

That's great - yet another happy customer for KK's technique!

Cheers

Sniff

Comment

Working...
            X