Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera / e61 water wand issue and some questions

Hello CSers

I recently bought a Bezzera Galatea (2 I believe - twin gauges). The machine is three years old but has been in storage for the last year or two. The machine works fantastic except for the water wand.

When I open the tap a few drips come out and that's it. My understanding is that these machines (e61 heat exchange), the boiler pressure pushes the water out when the tap is opened? Or does this machine have a solenoid or similar?

I pulled the tap "plunger" out and there is no blockage from the tap body to wand, all looks clean. I thought maybe it's scaled up but took the mushroom off and looks very clean, refer below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1398872655.556412.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	756204

Any thoughts?

Another question is that there doesn't seam to be an anti vac valve or safety valve on top of the boiler. But when the machine is heating up you can hear what sounds like a anti vac valve closing. Pic below of top of boiler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1398873197.993065.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	756205

Loving the machine but the water wand has me stumped.

Cheers

Perhaps the other end of the water pipe is blocked, or too high for the water level?

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
      or too high for the water level?
      With this thought in mind, Artman...is the water level probe in the boiler correctly set? Does the machine have a sight-glass?

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I will have to pull the side panels off and have a look but looks like the water feed is from the bottom part of the boiler.

If there is no solenoid and the water is just pushed out by boiler pressure then there must be a blockage somewhere in the feed pipe.

No sight glass but I would say water level is all ok, machine is working great otherwise.

Cheers

Comment

And low and behold the water tap is working, just like magic!?

I opened and closed the tap a few times and and each time the spot got bigger and then it just started working. Must have been a bit of a blockage somewhere.

It is just purely hydraulic just like the steam tap. With machine off water comes out if there is pressure in the boiler.

Had a bit if a look at the schematics, oddly the brew pressure feed to the gauge is at re pump outlet, not after the OPV. I though that was a bit strange, having it after the OPV would be much more useful. Weird design.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
            Had a bit if a look at the schematics, oddly the brew pressure feed to the gauge is at re pump outlet, not after the OPV. I though that was a bit strange, having it after the OPV would be much more useful. Weird design.

Cheers
            In what way?

Unless it's right at the group, the gauge will always read high; regardless of whether it is upstream or downstream of the OPV.

Comment

Yeah I was weirded out by that on my ECM. All it shows is yes, the pump is turned on. No real difference between running a shot, purging water, blind filter etc. The only other value I see is when autofilling the boiler (~3 barr).

The gauge on the em6910 wasn't that useful, but because it was placed right before the brewhead it was indicative of pressure at the puck. Its not that the gauge matters anyway, I just don't see the point of having it in that spot (diagnose if the pump is malfunctioning?!?)

Comment

Yeah weird indeed. Having it post OPV would also be able to diagnose pump. Wonder what the thought behind it is? Will see if it would be easy to relocate post OPV, I can't resist tinkering!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X