Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now my whole family is hooked. Where to next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now my whole family is hooked. Where to next?

Started my coffee journey 18 months ago with new Rancilio Silvia with PID, K3Push and Behmor. Whilst I have just about mastered the demands of the Silvia, and love it, my family have not, one being 80 years old and watched very carefully. They are consistently struggling with the Rancilio to get a decent, sometimes if at all, brew. This no matter how much I try to help.
    time to move on. Can members recommend an espresso machine that is more forgiving in the brewing? We are making 4 espresso,s and a couple of latte,s a day. Budget will max out at about $2000 after the sale of the silvia. Second hand is an option and any advice appreciated

Your next logical step is probably a good HX machine. I've found E-61 groups to be quite forgiving (definitely more forgiving than Silvia ever was ).

Since you've got a decent grinder already you can probably sink all your funds into the machine, $2000 is pretty close to new price on a lot of good E-61 HX machines, I've personally been very happy with my Vibiemme Domobar Junior ($2150 @ Talk Coffee). The Diadema Junior ($1899 @ Talk Coffee) is also well respected (though personally I don't like it's aesthetics).

I suggest pinging a request through using the Quote Form above, I'm sure the site sponsors will have more than a few good options in your price range.

Comment

+1 to jb's advice. Get yourself down to Talk Coffee and have a look at the range, maybe come away with an Izzo Vivi ! :-)

Just about all of the contenders, all in one place and with excellent service.

Comment

Thanks jbrewster and chokkidog. Bought the K3 from Chris, great before and after service. I will contact him first I think. Have never looked at an Izzo Vivi. Will check it and the Junior out at Chris' site

Comment

Not trying to be a smart arse Graeme, but with an elderly person in the family who is having problems getting it right, have you considered a pod machine? inexpensive to buy, some of em produce quite an acceptable brew.

Perhaps an E61 HX as well as a pod!

I've found teaching older people to use any espresso machine with all the variables associated with dose, grind, tamping etc to be a difficult task.

Good luck with your quest.

Comment

At the risk of being burned alive in the forums, the Breville Oracle is pretty much automatic and a couple of us have been able to buy them for under 2K. Whilst you can mess with everything except dose, you can completely automate the process including tamping and even the level of froth in the milk. I got one so everyone in the house could make a cuppa & am very happy.

Good Luck

CH

Comment

Yelta, that,s not a bad idea. My mother in law has spent her life on plastic coffee or chicory during the war in Europe so a pod might work, doubt she would know the difference and yes I think I am heading to an e61 HX. Wife and adult son have both been stopped from smacking the naughty Silvia. BTW, if you are still teaching older people I am happy to post her over. I have given up. Ha

Comment

Hi Graeme,

We'd be delighted to assist you again!

The Diadema display model is unused and still available. We reckon there is no better value under $2k on the market and the photos do not do the quality of finish justice.

We also currently have a VBM Domobar Junior demo- but it's slightly over your budget.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

I know i keep banging on about the machine that I've bought,
                  but the Lelit Pl60T V2, IS a very forgiving machine.

I've shown friends how to use it and basically as long as you have the PF full or ground coffee, sweep it off and push down on it
                  And as long as the PID shows you it's up to temp you will still get a very good shot out of it,
                  whether the pour time is anywhere between 15 and 50 seconds for a double.
                  the OPV operation prevents any over-pressurising and the PID keeps the temps stable for the duration of the shot.
                  even with super long "choked" shots (because some idiot cleaned the grinder and moved the setting.....) or gushers they are still perfectly drinkable for 95% of people that aren't true 'snobs

it has simple switches, on or off.
                  An LED readout to tell you the temp
                  And dual boiler so that you can steam and espresso at teh same time
                  no need for pre-flushing or post flushing or temp surfing, just stick coffee in the PF, milk in teh jug and flip the switches.
                  it's damn near idiot-proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbks View Post
                    I know i keep banging on about the machine that I've bought,
                    Don't think there's anything wrong with that Robbks, there's lots of us zealots on the forums Get enough of us together and we end up providing a balanced view

Cheers,

CH

Comment

Have to say the VBM Domobar Junior looks the goods to me Graeme, very good reputation and everything you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                        Have to say the VBM Domobar Junior looks the goods to me Graeme, very good reputation and everything you need.
                        Now marked as 'sold' .......... I hope that was you Graeme??!!

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                          Crikey! it was still available 45 mins ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            Crikey! it was still available 45 mins ago.
                            The quick.........and the slow.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                              It sold this arvo and is heading to Brisvegas chokki. Sorry Graeme

Comment

Working...
                              X