Generic Plumbing Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic Plumbing Kit

SO as my journey with the wonderful Lelit PL60T V2 continues, I'm considering plumbing it in to my household water supply.
    Main reason is so I can place it in a different part of my kitchen which will totally restrict access to the top of the unit for filling the water reservoir

I already have a filter system ready to go on an extra cold water outlet (dishwasher attachment)
    plus I can easily run the drain hoses into the P trap in the under-sink drain.

My real question is, is there a generic/ suitable pressure reduction kit that can work easily with the in-built pumps, or is it going to take major surgery and changing pumps to achieve it.

Alternatively, Float Valve kits?

thanks in advance

Hi Robbks,

FWIW, I am get to see a vibe pump plumb conversion which hasn't butchered the machine and made something of value worthless.

Plumbed machines in the overwhelming majority run rotary pumps and with good reason.

My advice? Tread very warily....

Comment

Are there problems with external rotary pumps? (in the cabinet under the machine.)

Comment

After a little more reading and research last night, the simplest solution would be a float-switch.
        my machine already has a slot in the side so you can see the water-level in the reservoir.
        adding a small water inlet and float through the slot and into the (easily replaceable) reservoir, will negate any need for extra filtration and drains, etc
        All the factory features are retained, just the reservoir filling becomes automated.

there's a good example here

Quit Filling That Water Tank! - Espresso Machines • Home-Barista.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robbks View Post
          After a little more reading and research last night, the simplest solution would be a float-switch.
          ..I think you mean float VALVE
          If it gives you any more confidence, i did a very similar float valve install a year or two ago on my Isomac.
          Very simple to do using the 6mm poly flex tube, and faultless in operation. I think the parts cost <$10 !
          I dont know why i didnt do this years earlier, it just saves so much hassle filling the tank ( Isomac has a one piece top cover !)
          I didnt bother with the drip tray drain , since,.. A) mine holds best part of 1.5 ltrs, B) the sink is less than 1mtr away !

PS..I am a pessimist,..so i only open the isolating valve (stop cock) whilst i am using the m/c.. That way i dont lose sleep at night over possible leaking tube fittings !
          Last edited by blend52; 3 June 2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Good to hear.

I like the idea of the shut off when not using it, but as i'm into engineering, a slick solution would be an electronic stop valve, wiring paralleled with the main on/off switch.
            Or one of the fancy dishwasher style anti-flood valves on the supply line under the bench.

Comment

And then another solution would be to sell the machine you have and purchase one which was designed to be plumbed.

We recommend that potential purchasers think about what their medium term requirements are likely to be when they choose a machine.

Comment

Find me a plumbed, dual boiler, PID controlled machine with as fast heat-up, with footprint and height no bigger than the Lelit PL60T that I have for $1K and I'll be all over it.

Like all my cars, PC's, Plasma TV's, Audio gear, etc. my coffee machine has not been spared the modification bug that exists within me.
                As you know, anything that's not custom built with a "no expense spared" attitude has certain manufacturing short-cuts that have to be made to make them viable to sell/ purchase.
                So with some smart planning and a little knowledge of such things, people like me are able to modify them to suit my specific requirements, and do it in such a manner that it's all reversible if I wish to sell it.

As such, I've already modified the machine for better temperature stability and lower power consumption by spending a few dollars on insulating the boilers and tweaking the PID controller to suit the new heat-loss characteristics.
                Along with some sound and vibration insulation in and around the internal panels to minimise vibrations and resonance.

Like my current car.
                I purchased it because it ticked all the boxes I needed.
                Later on I decided it needed a touch-screen navigation and audio setup. So i went about installing one.
                I didn't go out and buy a whole new car just for one small feature, not something that my modest budget can support.

Comment

Working...
                X