Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM Technika IV Profi & Mazzer Mini E

Hi all,

Well, after much reading and hanging around this website, I finally ended my coffee machine moratorium. A few years ago, when my Sunbeam broke (naturally), I self-imposed a ban on equipment until I could get something that I really wanted. So, after much research (and yes, everything has some compromise), the set up is

ECM Technika IV Profi

Mazzer Mini E

Brita under sink filter with dedicated tap on bench

All sourced from CS Sponsors (all of whom were very helpful, responsive, and supportive).

I am very happy with the set-up overall, but thought I might jot down a few early observations for those still on the journey to purchase:

ECM Technika IV Profi

I love the finish and look of the machine. It is the product of thoughtful and precise engineering, and everything on it just works superbly. The levers for steam and hot water are a super touch, and make control easy. The water tank opening allows the cups on the warming tray to stay in place, the drip tray slides in and out smoothly, the gauges are clear and easy to read, and it just feels solid.

The steam production is great; never had such an easy time producing silky microfoam. Already working on my latte art and looking to hone my collection of milk jugs! (is motta really worth it?).

The area I am still dialling in (though it doesn't seem to be holding back results as much as I would have thought) is the dosing. The double basket is big, and seems to need a full 18g, and sometimes a touch more - anyone with similar / different experience on this machine? I haven't bothered with the single basket given the generally accepted wisdom on discarding those. Keen to receive any constructive suggestions or observations people have on dosing.

Mazzer Mini E

Again, the look, feel, and engineering satisfy my need for good gear. I love the combo on the bench. The E bypasses the stale grinds / doser issue that many seem to have at home where you are only pulling a few shots at a time (which is my usage). The one thing that's somewhat inconvient is (a) the capture of grinds in the shute under the finger guard - anyone with comments on taking that off? most seem to do that from what I read. I am not planning on taking off the mesh, but thought if I take off that guard, I could easy use a small hand-held blower or brush to clean quickly. Has anyone experimented with small hand-pump blowers / vacs for this? I am trying to think laterally to come up with an easy to implement cleaning regime that works. Suggestions welcome.

Brita

Just a quick mention of the filter - it seems that the water source is a little talked about piece of the puzzle, but vital from what I understand, for our HX machines. Anyway, the fridge filter guys Chris mention on his website were superb. It took an act of plumbing gynmastics to install the think under the sink behind the insinkerator, but it's there now, so, all good.

Anyway, I am loving the smell of coffee in the house again, and the local cafes are suffering a downturn already

Happy to answer any questions about the kit if anyone is on the verge of buying the same gear. Also, I would welcome any tips from CSers with the same!
    Attached Files

After a few years out in the wilderness of self imposed sack cloth and ashes you must be stoked!

Nice kit..... congratulations.

Jugs, by the way? Ilsa..... worth every cent...... for the bling, nice spout too, ......I'm not a fan of the Motta design.

Much cheaper and more ordinary jugs will do just as good a job tho'.

Curious? What did you do for a brew in the wilderness?

Comment

Great set of equipment... I have the same machine and grinder and love them both. Agree with chokkidog's Ilsa recommendation, I have the teflon Ilsas and think they're great.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
        After a few years out in the wilderness of self imposed sack cloth and ashes you must be stoked!

Nice kit..... congratulations.

Jugs, by the way? Ilsa..... worth every cent...... for the bling, nice spout too, ......I'm not a fan of the Motta design.

Much cheaper and more ordinary jugs will do just as good a job tho'.

Curious? What did you do for a brew in the wilderness?
        thanks chokkidog! Will look up the Ilsa jugs - thanks for the suggestion - yeah, no coffee at home has meant lots of local cafe testing; fun in itself and I have become pretty detailed in my knowledge of the local offerings - thankfully there are some good ones - that said, it's rarely exactly they way I like it, so glad to be back behind the wheel.

Comment

Thanks kwantfm, so, curious, how long do you have set as the double shot dose on the mazer?

Comment

Barista Accessories Milk Frothing Jugs and Pitchers including Cafelat, Espro, Motta, Ilsa and Alessi | Coffee Parts

Site sponsor Coffee Parts. Just scroll down the page.

When it comes to all things coffee I like stainless steel, vitrified porcelain and glass.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by wholebean View Post
              Thanks kwantfm, so, curious, how long do you have set as the double shot dose on the mazer?
              I changed to Super Jolly burrs so my answer won't be relevant for you.

Comment

Originally posted by kwantfm View Post
                I changed to Super Jolly burrs so my answer won't be relevant for you.
                understood, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X