Rusty bolts on boema boiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty bolts on boema boiler

Reposted this from another thread. I am rebuilding a single group boema at present. I am having alot of trouble getting three of the bolts off the element plate off the boiler. They are rusted through and stuck. I tried rp7 soaked over several days as well as heating the bolts with gas torch hoping for the expansion/contraction effect to no avail. It won't give, anyone had this experience and how did they handle it?

Thanks

I handled it by snapping the bolts, unintentionally, then getting them drilled out. Replacement bolts are cheap from Boema or you can just pick up a set from a hardware store.

Comment

How do I handle it? Get frustrated, apply enough torque to twist the bolt heads off, apply more penetrating fluid, judicious whack with a soft face hammer to remove the flange plate or whatever it is, then painstakingly grind down, drill out and re-tap the stuffed studs. No quick fix solution here I'm afraid, when rust has set in they are not gonna come easy.

Comment

Mmm was was wanting someone to tell me of a magic solution I could apply that eats away the rust, just wishful thinking. Have snapped one of the bolts already. Looks as though I might have to drill them out. Thanks for the reality check guys.

Comment

as per post # 3 above. Quite common on these.

Comment

Working...
          X