Pid install on a Faema E98 Compact S1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pid install on a Faema E98 Compact S1

I just upgraded from a gaggia classic to the beasty Faema E98 .l had a pid on the gaggia and now want to put it on the Faema has anyone done this some pics and a bit of a rundown would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

The Faema is a HX machine which runs off a pressurestat not a thermostat. In theory it could be done as per the latest model of the rocket, but it ain't gona help you. Have a look at a few resources and you will be loving the HX in no time.

Comment

Thanks for your reply if the rocket can do it so can l .It will put an end to the Faema over heating .It's a good machine l love the power but l want to regulate the water temp.

Comment

Originally posted by greenbe View Post
        Thanks for your reply if the rocket can do it so can l .It will put an end to the Faema over heating .It's a good machine l love the power but l want to regulate the water temp.
        It will only do that in exactly the same way as turning the pressurestat down would do- at the expense of steam pressure and quality

Comment

Yeah from my understanding the PID HX simply narrows the range of pressure/temperature in the boiler. I.e. rather than a 1.0-1.2 range it might be 1.05-1.15 Bar.

If you only need to steam milk for 1 or 2 drinks you can bring the pressure down a bit, but you will always need to do a cooling flush. Cooling flushes are just part and parcel of HX machines

Comment

Originally posted by burr View Post
            .....Cooling flushes are just part and parcel of HX machines
            Sorry but no. That's misinformation. Whilst cooling flushes are part and parcel of this specific machine, they do not apply to many machines. They do not apply to the majority of machines on the market today, nor most owned and operated by CS'ers.

Comment

My bad... I was under the impression your standard domestic HX had some form of cooling flush (giotto etc)

Comment

Originally posted by greenbe View Post
                I just upgraded from a gaggia classic to the beasty Faema E98 ....Thanks in advance.
                Forgive me for interrupting, but therein lies the crux of the matter "...Just upgraded to..."

You dont know much about the machine, and already want to modify it.....from a point that you dont yet fully understand, to...?

My advice would be to learn the machine. It will take a while.

After that, make a considered observation on what it was that you thought should be modified, that probably doesnt need to be...any more....because you have learned to understand it over time.

After that, if you still want to modify it, by all means knock yourself out, but please dont do it until you have spent some time with it and have fully understood what it does.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Sound advice above. They do tend to run a bit hot but just do a cooling flush while grinding/dosing the PF and you will get consistent ripper shots with some practice. With a bit of basic maintenance they will give great service for many years.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the feedback .l will wait a bit.l dont mind doing the flushes.l am very happy with the machine ljust thought l would tinker with it a bit.

Comment

Also, it's wise to actually measure your temps before and after the flush once it's in and running
                      Then you know exactly what your brewing temps are.

My Lelit DB machine was serviced and PID calibrated by the guys at Jetblack.
                      But due to the difference in locations and ambient temps, my machine was not pushing out the brew water to the same temperature as it was in the warmer climate, so a tweak was still needed to the PID programming

Comment

Interesting but the way my pid is setup it is easy.
                        Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Working...
                        X