Lubricant for a lever machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricant for a lever machine?

Hey guys. I have an Elektra Microcasa Leva machine and it's time for some maintenance on the machines lever as it feels quite dry.

I have some Waterproof silicon lubricant that is "non toxic". It's not a grease, so i don't think its going to be overly suitable.

What do you guys recommend?

jaycar sell edible grease i use on my screen screws also on the planetary gears on my kenwood mixer
    Inox Premium Food Grade Machinery Grease 30gm - Jaycar Electronics

Comment

Originally posted by fman1972 View Post
      jaycar sell edible grease
      Not recommended on toast. ;-)

Comment

G'day Juvv...

If you contact one or more of our Site Sponsors closest to you, they will most likely sell the right stuff for you to use, e.g.
        Food grade silicon grease | Talk Coffee

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
          Not recommended on toast. ;-)
          yeah its a bit exy illld stay with butter :P

Comment

Molykote 111 is what I use when rebuilding lever machines.
            It's a well proven product used by many technicians.

It's fairly cheap and easy to obtain, Blackwoods has it on their online store in 100gm tubes.

Comment

If you have a Home Brew shop near by you could use Keg lube.
              KEG AND Gasket Lube Disconnect Cornelius KEG Food Grade Home Brew | eBay

Comment

With respect, there is no indication as to the temperature range across which each of the alternate suggested products are recommended for use. If the Molykote product is rated food safe, then it's possibly ok. I'd think that beer keg lube is suitable for- beer keg temperatures.

We tried a cheaper food, lower grade grade lube and rejected it. The higher temp food grade grease far outperformed it and outlasted it- especially on e-61 lever cams. You gets what you pays for.

Comment

Molykote 111 is definitely food safe (H1) according to manufacturer supplied test data but not rated as high a service temperature as the Haynes product. Haynes is good for up to 260C or so, Molykote 111 to just over 200C. As far as price goes though, much of a muchness really as both products are high quality and you pay accordingly but I wouldn't call either of them expensive, given how little of the product you're meant to use with each application and how long each application lasts in service.

These would be the only two products I would consider using though, given the the amount of testing and certification that stands behind each of them...

Mal.

Comment

good 'ol Dow Corning, it finds its way everywhere from aeroplane parts to chem labs to... your espresso machine!

Comment

Hi all

I have "mx6 Inox with PTFE" which is "High temperature, Extreme pressure" and "premium machinery grease Food Grade". Comes in a 30 gram squeeze tube. Got it from site sponsor Di Bartoli .

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                        I wouldn't call either of them expensive, given how little of the product you're meant to use with each application and how long each application lasts in service.

Good job there is no expiry date on this stuff....
                        I have had a 150gm tube of Dow Cornings 111 (Molykote 111) for over 30years and its still more than half full despite being used frequently !

Comment

Originally posted by fman1972 View Post
                          jaycar sell edible grease i use on my screen screws also on the planetary gears on my kenwood mixer
                          Inox Premium Food Grade Machinery Grease 30gm - Jaycar Electronics
                          I use this but find it tastes a bit rank. So it needs to be used sparingly and run some shots through it first before drinking.

Comment

Gonna go with the M111 after doing a lot of research.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                              I use this but find it tastes a bit rank. So it needs to be used sparingly and run some shots through it first before drinking.
                              You might be using it a bit too generously Luke...

Only need the barest smear of the stuff on the wearing surfaces, and this will last for quite a long time.

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X