VBM Domobar Super Lever - dampening vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBM Domobar Super Lever - dampening vibrations

Hi, new member here, I've just acquired a VBM domobar super lever and are in the process of learning to use it properly.

Its a beast of a thing, makes lots of noises and vibrates a lot. Not good for a quiet house at 6am.

I'm thinking of possibly lining the outer steel casing with dynamat. If not familiar with this, it's self adhesive bitumous product used in car audio to dampen vibrating panels.

Couple of queries

a) is this a bad idea? Can anyone think of a particular downside apart from making the machine even heavier?
    b) it will insulate the machine to a degree, I don't expect this is really an issue? It will mean the sides of the unit are cooler to touch.
    c) anyone else done something similar?

also, the feet are pure metal with no rubber pads - what do people typically change this for? I was thinking some non slip 3M or similar furniture pads from bunnings would be ideal.

Cheers,

C+

Sounds like one of the old small boiler thermonuclear Crivelli ones to me as the more recent ones are not not noisy. They don't have much in common other than external appearance.

A competent tech. will be able to do plenty to quieten it and cool it if required. FWIW, you don't want it getting too hot internally. It cooks control boards.

Comment

Dynamat is very effective at dampening resonations even with very small amounts of it

I used it on my old 6910, and only using a few 2" square pieces had good results.

Comment

I don't recall my VBM DS being that noisy when I had it. One thing I did do though was put little self adhesive felt pads on both sides of the water tank to stop it rattling against the machine. That worked very well.

As for the feet, you can get self adhesive little rubber feet from the hardware shop. Just make sure you wipe your bench down well before you sit the machine back down as they will cause the machine to slide when locking in the pf or if there's any dust or dirt under them.

I like what Talk Coffee said about overheating. Definitely want to make sure you don't do that.

Javabeen.

Comment

Have a look here: Boiler insulation & noise dampening

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
            Sounds like one of the old small boiler thermonuclear Crivelli ones to me as the more recent ones are not not noisy. They don't have much in common other than external appearance.

A competent tech. will be able to do plenty to quieten it and cool it if required. FWIW, you don't want it getting too hot internally. It cooks control boards.
            How can I tell?

its about 3yrs old. Unless it was old stock of course....!

Comment

Originally posted by GregWormald View Post
              Perfect. Exactly what I planned to do with the dynamat.

I like the boiler insulation too. I might consider that next.

Comment

Working...
              X