Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vibiemme Domobar Jnr owners - How do you dose, particularly singles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibiemme Domobar Jnr owners - How do you dose, particularly singles?

I've owned this beauty for 4 years but while I'm making good shots I'm not following the "traditional"guidelines.

I have always dosed by volume, that is, enough to just come under the shower screen. I find that easier and quicker. When I do this I fill the VBM single basket with 14 gms of coffee, yes 14gms. Most would say that's not "normal" and is closer to a double than a single, but I dial this in to get a good pour which tastes great. I tried the VST single basket which is labelled at 7gms but when I dose by volume I actually get 16gms, yes 16gms, which everyone would say is a double but once again after dialling in I get a good shot. Same with doubles but my results seem a little more "normal". I get about 21 gms with the VBM double basket (although some would say that's a triple) and get good shots again once dialled in. The pucks also indicate a good dosage and pour. I am assuming my scales are accurate. Most coffeesnobs would say that if your pours are good and they taste great then don't worry about the numbers but I don't know anybody who doses 14gm singles or 16 gm singles in a VST single basket. Chris at coffee talk also said that VBMs are fairly forgiving with updosing. So my questions ...

Anybody else dose singles by volume in their VBM like I do?
    If you dose by weight then what weight?
    Won't you then get a very sloppy puck?
    Won't you also have to set your grinder to very fine?
    If you dose by going to mound and levelling then what weight do you get?
    What techniques do you employ to pull good singles? eg sweep with scott callaghan dosing tools, dose collapse etc

I'm curious to see if I am a unique specimen.

I might have to ask this more simply in the "general coffee related" section. Can someone delete this before I get a lecture from Javaphile on cross posting.

Comment

I get around 20 grams into my double basket also.

Comment

I have never used my single. I dose in my double basket (which is actually my old Sunbeam 6910 basket) using a mound and levelling technique. Whenever I have randomly weighed my double basket out of interest it is usually somewhere between 19-20.5g depending on the beans. Gives about 6-8mm clearance from the top of the basket. Nice firm pucks. Sorry never used my single...

Comment

Originally posted by bennett View Post
          I have never used my single. I dose in my double basket (which is actually my old Sunbeam 6910 basket) using a mound and levelling technique. Whenever I have randomly weighed my double basket out of interest it is usually somewhere between 19-20.5g depending on the beans. Gives about 6-8mm clearance from the top of the basket. Nice firm pucks. Sorry never used my single...
          What do you do if you're only making one coffee?

Comment

Originally posted by barri View Post
            All my coffees are double shots. Minimum.

Comment

I don't use my single- generally single baskets are natouriously harder to get right. I normally only make doubles but if I only need 1 coffee I either make a double restretto and have both or I pour the extra shot into a short black glass and leave it and have an iced coffee later.

Hope everyone's ideas help.

Comment

Am I the only VBM user that "doses" singles on a regular basis? Surely there are others out there.

Comment

I always drink double espressos. Even my wife's flat white, I use a double base with milk.

Comment

Am I the only VBM user that "doses" singles on a regular basis? Surely there are others out there.
                    possibly............nah probably :-).
                    I had a Junior at a guess for 3 years and have had my Rocket for 18 months and I have never even dirtied my single baskets. They are in the draw with other unused [useless????] stuff :-)

Steve

Comment

OK I've got the message. Pity since I hate wasting coffees.

Comment

Your grams sound the same as mine. I'm doing 13g shots that seem to do a great single. For the double I'm at 18grams, from memory.

Comment

Originally posted by lionfish View Post
                          Your grams sound the same as mine. I'm doing 13g shots that seem to do a great single. For the double I'm at 18grams, from memory.
                          At last. A like minded person. Well done Lionfish. Is that the VBM single you use or are you using a VST single. Also, how do you dose?
                          I'm assuming, given the 13 gms, that you dose similar to me. That is, enough to just clear the screen by either using a G.O.D. grinder or fill to a mound and wipe off with a scott callaghan dosing tool or simply eyeballing it. Am I right?

Comment

I use the single basket regularly and don't have any problem. Dose is normally around 12gm although I only weigh it occasionally. Normally fill, collapse, fill and then level to just below the rim before quick tamp and polish.
                            I can understand why some don't use the single basket, I need to be conscious not to overfill and when I make the occasional error it chokes up.

Comment

Welcome to coffeesnobs, Nickos and thanks for your reply. This site is not very encouraging when referring to singles and I do understand why but with persistence they are doable. When I use the VBM double I use over 20gms and I really don't want to use all of that just to make one coffee. I did a youtube search on making single espressos and one of them titled something like "making good espresso singles" actually showed making a double and the presenter said choose the best shot. I laughed. Also don't be too hung up on people saying 12gms is too much for a single. If it taste good and you have saved coffee then ignore those comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X