Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expobar Leva 2, Not Getting Body in Brews

Hi,

As a new owner of the Office Leva 2 (twin boiler, PID,EB-61) and Compak K3 grinder I am getting better coffe than ever I did with my old Sunbeam dual boiler machine.

But.........I can't seem to get a really full bodied brew - just seems "weak" I prefer a flat white as my regular fix.

Firstly I have read everything I can on this forum and watched videos of dosing, tamping and grinding and this "seems" ok.

Beans. I am using fresh Fiefy blend from Coffeesnobs - only blended this week - do they need to mature longer?

Searching the Forum I found a review of this machine (sometimes called barista minore) with the following comment:

":Notes: Spanish built. eb-61 shower screen is lower than that of e-61 in Giotto, Diadema etc. These machines typically ship at 12+ bar pump pressure and require adjustment. Build quality is not as good as the Italian machines. I have found that a full bench test and comprehensive check is advisable. "

Is and adjustment - presumable upwards - likely to be part of the problem and if so how is this done? - nothing in the very poor instruction manual about this.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I have continued to search for the problem and may have found it. The shower head is quite low meaning the amount that can be put in the filter basket is less than expected.
    Using the double basket for a single shot seems to give the sort of body I like in a smallish flat white.
    I will persist with this rather than trying any other changes for the time being.

Comment

You make no mention as to the size nor type of basket your using.

Perhaps you may benefit in buy a larger capacity basket then adjusting the grind and dose accordingly, certainly worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
        You make no mention as to the size nor type of basket your using.

Perhaps you may benefit in buy a larger capacity basket then adjusting the grind and dose accordingly, certainly worth looking into.
        Thanks Yelta,

I have the standard baskets - single and double, supplied with the machine, but the manual makes no mention of the capacity of these.

I have emailed the distributor to ask what size the baskets are and if they are the 6 and 12 gm types, I have seen advertised singles at 7 gm and doubles at 14 gm.

The low shower screen does mean that the baskets cannot be filled anywhere near to capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by rmchenry View Post
          Thanks Yelta,

I have the standard baskets - single and double, supplied with the machine, but the manual makes no mention of the capacity of these.

I have emailed the distributor to ask what size the baskets are and if they are the 6 and 12 gm types, I have seen advertised singles at 7 gm and doubles at 14 gm.

The low shower screen does mean that the baskets cannot be filled anywhere near to capacity.
          As a starter I would purchase a Precision filter basket 14 to 18 gram from Talk Coffee Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts | Talk Coffee I think you will find this will be a vast improvement on what your using.

Don't get involved in the basket debate at this point, the Precision baskets do an excellent job, I think you will find it $13 well spent.

If you buy a basket get back to me and I will try to give you a few tips on grinding and dosing.

Comment

As a starter I would purchase a Precision filter basket 14 to 18 gram from Talk Coffee Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts | Talk Coffee I think you will find this will be a vast improvement on what your using.

Don't get involved in the basket debate at this point, the Precision baskets do an excellent job, I think you will find it $13 well spent.

If you buy a basket get back to me and I will try to give you a few tips on grinding and dosing.
            Again my thanks Yelta.

I have already ordered the 14-18 gm basket as you suggested and will post back when I have received it and tried it.

I may also order their E61 portafilter which can take a triple basket if this turns out to be successful.

Comment

Expobar ship with smallish baskets. Go to Synesso/EP Precision or something similar and you will see an improvement. The doubles are larger but will fit the stock portafilter. Singles? Turf them.

Rather than ordering another portafilter, I'd recommend a naked portafilter instead. It will help you improve distribution, consistency and the quality of your shots. Nakeds almost always ship with triple baskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                Expobar ship with smallish baskets. Go to Synesso/EP Precision or something similar and you will see an improvement. The doubles are larger but will fit the stock portafilter. Singles? Turf them.

Rather than ordering another portafilter, I'd recommend a naked portafilter instead. It will help you improve distribution, consistency and the quality of your shots. Nakeds almost always ship with triple baskets.
                Thanks, I thought that a blind filter may be might be best but wasn't sure so will order.

Comment

Hi Yelta,

I bought the precision filter basket 14 to 18 gm as you suggested and immediate improvement noticed in the brew. With the Expobar and it's low shower filter one has to be careful not to fill the basket too high, but the extra volume in the precision basket really improves the body.
                  I am using Fiefy's Barista Blend and finding it needs to be ground very finely or the extraction is too rapid. Waiting on some WOW beans to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by rmchenry View Post
                    Hi Yelta,

I bought the precision filter basket 14 to 18 gm as you suggested and immediate improvement noticed in the brew. With the Expobar and it's low shower filter one has to be careful not to fill the basket too high, but the extra volume in the precision basket really improves the body.
                    I am using Fiefy's Barista Blend and finding it needs to be ground very finely or the extraction is too rapid. Waiting on some WOW beans to compare.
                    Pleased to hear there is an improvement, I imagine with a bit of practice your shots will improve even more.

Comment

Working...
                    X