Isomac Tea cool touch defect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isomac Tea cool touch defect

So I was working on a one month old Isomac Tea cool touch that a customer brought to me the other day when I found an interesting manufacturing flaw.

The machine was imported through a company that doesn't have a brilliant reputation, the customer saved near on $1000 for the purchase price but will probably end up spending the extra $1000 on repairs in the future. The fault here was not something the company could have foreseen unless they had disassembled the machine before selling it. Admittedly, they should have done this anyway as the machine was a European import, still had the EU plug on it and was still tuned for it's place of manufacture.
    I did say the company was a bit slack though hehe.

I've attached the photo's of the problem I found.

It is a bit concerning that a fault like that exists on a new, expensive machine. Why a live wire was placed even anywhere near sharp metal parts that vibrate when the pump is running is strange.

Click image for larger version

Name:	isomac 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	756659Click image for larger version

Name:	isomac 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	756660

Wow....Death trap. I guess the purchasers got what they paid for and they will now pay handsomely to have it made right and operate correctly. Of course, the usuals will argue that the concept of Australian spec. is still a furphy and that Dodgy Brothers sells like for like.

Regardless of the above, for any manufacturing company to let that go on QC inspection is frankly appalling. I really don't like their product and hope that the manufacturer and guy who built this ultimately get to see these pics.

Comment

Is the sloppy black insulating tape "factory original" also ?
      ...or has this m/c previously been interfered with by a 3rd party ?

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
        Wow....Death trap. I guess the purchasers got what they paid for
        Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with that. It seems that you're implying that anyone buying non "Australian Spec" should expect to have hazardous and potentially fatal defects in their machines.

EU norms and specifications (that are applicable to Isomac) would not allow such an atrocious unsafe installation (if indeed it came like that from the factory). Hence the correct use of the term 'defect' in the opening post to describe what was found; although as previous post suggested, it may have been a third party tinker.

Poor design, workmanship and even poorer quality control is something that can be found in any part of the world (including Australia).

Comment

So are you saying if all imported stuff are made like that? With defects and close wires that can cause short circuit. Are you also saying every imported coffee machine imported through Aussie distributor are opened up each one of them and inspected in detail to be free of defects? Guaranteed 100% defect free?

Comment

One with tape and one without. Says something but what i'm not sure.

B52 might be right about 3rd party??

Re: reconnecting wires to Isomac Tea boiler - help! - Espresso Machines • Home-Barista.com

Inside an e-61 coffee machine, what you can and can't adjust, HX versus dual boiler | BrewMethod

Comment

Originally posted by ahhhespressso View Post
              Are you also saying every imported coffee machine imported through Aussie distributor are opened up each one of them and inspected in detail to be free of defects?
              My experience with one Melbourne based importer/reseller is a YES. Opened up, inspected and bench tested....every one.

Comment

Not sure how, even if a third party has tampered with the wire, it could possibly cost $1000 to tuck it away. There must be more to it than meets the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                  My experience with one Melbourne based importer/reseller is a YES. Opened up, inspected and bench tested....every one.
                  Oh cool so how long does it take to inspect one machine? 2-3 hours job? certainly a professional will only takes a while to spot something odd. So does 1 - 2hour work justify almost double of unit price?

Comment

Originally posted by ahhhespressso View Post
                    Oh cool so how long does it take to inspect one machine? 2-3 hours job? certainly a professional will only takes a while to spot something odd. So does 1 - 2hour work justify almost double of unit price?
                    I don't know. If it was you, your partner or your child on the receiving end of 240V, what would you think. Will all in order?

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                      That is a noble undertaking, but I am not impressed !
                      Those must be very expensive machines, made by a supplier with little or no quality controls, to justify the need for 100% individual inspection and testing.
                      can you imagine Breville, ( or any other importer of domestic electrical goods)... undertaking that amount of additional cost and interruption to their supply chain ?

Comment

The mind boggles..........

I guess that's why Breville, and their ilk have a replacement guarantee .... it's easy, cheap, lowers their
                        need for QC and enables a false culture of so called 'customer service' by replacing the numerous machines that don't work from the get go.

For my money I would much rather deal with a seller who takes the time to QC each machine they retail.

This delivers customer satisfaction much more than a multi national who would be satisfied with a built in <>5% guaranteed failure rate.

More than a little surprised at your post......... it just lacks logic.

Comment

Would anyone care to answer my $1000 wire tucking question?

Comment

PS hopefully my post won't be deleted

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
                              So I was working on a one month old Isomac Tea cool touch that a customer brought to me the other day when I found an interesting manufacturing flaw.

The machine was imported through a company that doesn't have a brilliant reputation, the customer saved near on $1000 for the purchase price but will probably end up spending the extra $1000 on repairs in the future. The fault here was not something the company could have foreseen unless they had disassembled the machine before selling it. Admittedly, they should have done this anyway as the machine was a European import, still had the EU plug on it and was still tuned for it's place of manufacture.
                              I did say the company was a bit slack though hehe.

I've attached the photo's of the problem I found.

It is a bit concerning that a fault like that exists on a new, expensive machine. Why a live wire was placed even anywhere near sharp metal parts that vibrate when the pump is running is strange.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7336[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7337[/ATTACH]
                              Out of interest, what does a one month old machine, need repaired? What was the problem that caused the customer to bring it to you? From your statement, it was not the wiring.
                              Also, can you let us know why the repair bill will be $1000?

Comment

Working...
                              X