Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giotto Spraying Coffee Mist!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Giotto Spraying Coffee Mist!

    My new 2nd hand Giotto is spraying a fine mist of delicious espresso onto my bench where it is probably delighting the bean lovers in the local bacteria community but has me wondering wtf? The machine had new seals put in not long before I bought it, the previous owner provided the paperwork to prove it, so what could be happening here?

  • #2
    Where is the spray coming from? Does it happen with every basket you use?

    Comment


    • #3
      Can you see where it's coming from? Maybe surround the group with a sheet of paper to try and locate it. The only time I have experienced phantom espresso is when using a naked PF and having a shot that had a squirt, very fine and often easy to miss if not looking directly at it.

      Cheers

      Comment


      • #4
        I am indeed using a naked portafilter but it was happening with the normal one too. It's very hard to see as it is so fine, also it lands in a different place on the bench every time which doesn't help! This is with a basket I bought from coffee-talk, I will try with the standard one as I don't think I've done that yet

        Comment


        • #5
          Are you getting some grounds between the basket and the group seal that may let a little water through? This could be due to over dosing or by not wiping grounds off the top edge of the basket before locking in the portafilter.

          Barry

          Comment


          • #6
            Pull out the seal and basket, clean these and inside the group where they sit thoroughly.

            I was thinking if you hold a piece of paper it should make it easier to spot.

            Cheers

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
              Are you getting some grounds between the basket and the group seal that may let a little water through? This could be due to over dosing or by not wiping grounds off the top edge of the basket before locking in the portafilter.

              Barry
              +1

              Originally posted by artman View Post
              Pull out the seal and basket, clean these and inside the group where they sit thoroughly.

              I was thinking if you hold a piece of paper it should make it easier to spot.

              Cheers
              +1

              Originally posted by cmotd View Post
              I am indeed using a naked portafilter but it was happening with the normal one too. It's very hard to see as it is so fine, also it lands in a different place on the bench every time which doesn't help! This is with a basket I bought from coffee-talk, I will try with the standard one as I don't think I've done that yet
              In other words the new seals are not fitted correctly OR the new basket does not fit into the p/f or the "p/f & basket assembly" does not fit into the group collar correctly (it is a 3D thing, very hard to spot). IF it was leaking from further down, the standard p/f could not spray.

              Please clean it all out thoroughly, reseat everything and then let us all know what the standard basket in the standard p/f does. After that it will be narrowed down or solved.



              TampIt

              Comment


              • #8
                thanks for the suggestons, I was using one of those laser-cut baskets from talk-coffee so I changed back to the one that came with my Giotto and the squirting stopped. I noticed on closer inspection that the new basket doesn't sit properly in the pf, not all the way in. so i guess that was a waste of money lol

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sounds to me that you are attempting to get a triple basket into a double portafilter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    Sounds to me that you are attempting to get a triple basket into a double portafilter.
                    Sounds to me like an educated guess involving a bit of inside information.

                    As has been frequently suggested, if your having problems with a new piece of equipment talk to the people you bought it from.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                      Sounds to me that you are attempting to get a triple basket into a double portafilter.
                      The OP is using a naked, doesn't that contradict the double PF thingy?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Guess the question is, are the baskets seating fully in the portafilter? pics of the set up would be useful.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I get this occasionally with my triple too. But I also find that due to the higher dose required, the pour from the triple is slower. Ideally the grind would be a fraction coarser with the triple - but who can be bothered! So just tend to underdose an tamp a little lighter … sooooooo (this it where it gets more pointy for the OP) maybe it is simply the higher pressure buildup that is causing the squirts. Try a coarser grind or lighter tamp?
                          Or could also be that the 2nd hand group seal has a bedded in, hardened 'compression mark' in the rubber from the standard basket, and the new basket does quite match? A new seal might be in order, which would then compress to suit both styles of baskets when you're changing between them…

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                            Sounds to me that you are attempting to get a triple basket into a double portafilter.
                            Hmmm, the triple came boxed with the Rocket naked PF that I bought from a place called Talk Coffee

                            Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                            ...Or could also be that the 2nd hand group seal has a bedded in, hardened 'compression mark' in the rubber from the standard basket, and the new basket does quite match? A new seal might be in order, which would then compress to suit both styles of baskets when you're changing between them…
                            Seal is only a few months old but I will have a look!

                            Have gone back to using the laser-cut basket as the others are really hard to get an even extraction from, am putting up with the 'squirts' for now

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cmotd View Post
                              Hmmm, the triple came boxed with the Rocket naked PF that I bought from a place called Talk Coffee

                              Seal is only a few months old but I will have a look!

                              Have gone back to using the laser-cut basket as the others are really hard to get an even extraction from, am putting up with the 'squirts' for now
                              Hi cmotd

                              Nothing to do with your seal (you proved it conclusively).

                              One of my earlier posts describes exactly what your issue is. See the ** bit.

                              http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post518054.

                              In that case the basket was larger than the p/f. Smaller would probably still do the same thing.

                              To expand a little, a diameter difference means that the curved top of the basket does not align correctly with the top of the p/f holder. As soon as the 9 bar of pressure hits the combination, it deforms and drops into the "correct spot" and promptly leaks / sprays. I would suggest you return the so-called "precision basket" and ask for one the correct size... Or bite the bullet & get a VST (their diameter is now quite accurate) and then have to recalibrate your setup to cope with baskets that flow a lot faster and more evenly... Your call as to which is less of a PITA.


                              TampIt
                              If the pain is excruciating, the pleasure afterwards is also greater...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X