Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used Bezzera BZ35 - do the internals look okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Bezzera BZ35 - do the internals look okay?

Hello!

What do you think of this internal pic of Bezzera BZ35 volumetric?

Should anything there worry me? Does the boiler need its outside descaled?

I'm hoping to purchase it second hand for $950, after successful demo and receipt from recent service which apparently included descaling, new knobs and a relay. Comes with double and single handles, double, single and blind baskets.

Since the pump is rotary, I assume this means the machine was manufactured 2007 or later according to manufactures website, making it less than 8 years old.

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Lindsay.

It's not the outside of the boiler you need to worry about, the exterior can look pristine while the inside may well be a solid block of scale, looks like there has been/is a leak above the pipework on the top left.

Perhaps you may care to introduce yourself here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/off-topic/...o-easy-me.html

Comment

Hi Yelta,

Thanks for the welcome and response! That makes sense. Hopefully the service technician fixed the leak. Perhaps he descaled without doing a full disassembly?

Or put another way, would the boiler look like the pic after a disassembled descale? The seller says they haven't used the machine since the service.

It's the black and pink on the boiler that I'm now not sure about.

Comment

I would be asking for the machine to be up and running with the top removed so you can look and listen closely for any leaks from pipework (don't go prodding anything, for hopefully obvious reasons - plenty of live 240V components). External leaks are generally not a good indication of the internal state of a boiler. If leaks are evident I'd leave it well alone at that price. Also look at the water quality from the hot water tap. If it is anything other than clear with no chunky bits after it has settled down, avoid.

Comment

Thanks Coffee Machinist! I'll make sure I check for leaks and hot water quality as you have described.

I got off the phone with Bezzera in Brisbane, and they informed me that the machine is 10-15 years old, unlike my guess of post 2007.

Because it was descaled, and there was a leak (presumably fixed) by a technician, does this mean the machine wasn't fed good filtered water? Should this concern me at $950?

If there are currently no leaks and the hot water is pristine, and given the history of descale + leak, am I buying a problematic machine (with soon repair cost)?
          Or does clear hot water + descale mean the piping and boiler should be okay?

Comment

I'll add something quickly.

In regards to this technicians service.. You say it was descaled, I would be a little cautious in regards to that. It hasn't had a complete disassembly for a descale bath because the entire boiler would be a nice bright pinky orange colour. So the problem I find with that is that at that age I could make a good assumption that at some point it may of changed ownership or not be used on a filter or a filter was used past it's due date requiring a descale. A machine aged 10-15 years old would usually require a full strip and acid bath, if they just ran descale through the machine that can generally cause more issues because it will lift scale and block other components down the brew path. I full strip down descale would generally require 3-5 hours labour at $80-$100/hour you can take a guess that the bill for a service doing this would be $400-$600+. If the bill is $250 - $300 I would imagine that they only replaced the parts you said and ran descale thru it which would raise an eyebrow for me.

Make sure all the buttons on the keypad work as well. Good luck with this machine, it's a great machine. It was actually my first machine I purchased when I moved from a baby Breville toy into the commercial grade machines. Have a look at my thread BZ35 restoration [ http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...refurbish.html ] my thread should give you a rough idea of what's involved in your potential new purchase.

If you have any questions ask, everyone is more than happy to help around here.

Comment

Welcome Lindsay...

Is the machine you're considering coming from "Bezzera in Brisbane"? If so, they have an exemplary reputation and I really doubt that they would let a machine go without a thorough inspection and service (unless it is a buy as-where is deal). I'm sure they wouldn't mind detailing just exactly what they have done...

Mal.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by brendogs View Post
                I'll add something quickly.

In regards to this technicians service.. You say it was descaled, I would be a little cautious in regards to that. It hasn't had a complete disassembly for a descale bath because the entire boiler would be a nice bright pinky orange colour. So the problem I find with that is that at that age I could make a good assumption that at some point it may of changed ownership or not be used on a filter or a filter was used past it's due date requiring a descale. A machine aged 10-15 years old would usually require a full strip and acid bath, if they just ran descale through the machine that can generally cause more issues because it will lift scale and block other components down the brew path. I full strip down descale would generally require 3-5 hours labour at $80-$100/hour you can take a guess that the bill for a service doing this would be $400-$600+. If the bill is $250 - $300 I would imagine that they only replaced the parts you said and ran descale thru it which would raise an eyebrow for me.

Make sure all the buttons on the keypad work as well. Good luck with this machine, it's a great machine. It was actually my first machine I purchased when I moved from a baby Breville toy into the commercial grade machines. Have a look at my thread BZ35 restoration [ http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...refurbish.html ] my thread should give you a rough idea of what's involved in your potential new purchase.

If you have any questions ask, everyone is more than happy to help around here.
                Yes and yes! The seller said they got it off someone who used it domestically. And they also said the service bill was about $250-$300 (which I'd obtain with purchase).

I really appreciated your restoration thread, particularly the photos.

In line with what Coffee Machinist's said, if the hot water wand & brew head dispense clear water for 30sec(?) each, might that suggest the 10-15 year old machine does not require full strip descale? Or would I need to measure the volume output to determine flow rate, to determine if a partial blockage warrants a full strip descale?

Or do I assume, given Yelta pointing out the leak, that the machine is unlikely to have been excellently treated all its life, and would thus likely require a full strip descale? And given the used market, buying + technical work = total $1500, does this put the machine on the pricer side to bring to full functionality?

My upgrade from Sunbeam EM3600 + EM0480 will be good for both me and my guests!

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                Welcome Lindsay...

Is the machine you're considering coming from "Bezzera in Brisbane"? If so, they have an exemplary reputation and I really doubt that they would let a machine go without a thorough inspection and service (unless it is a buy as-where is deal). I'm sure they wouldn't mind detailing just exactly what they have done...

Mal.
                It's a private sale, not from the wonderful people at Bezzera Brisbane - but you've confirmed my vibe about Bezzera; from a phone call they seem very thorough, careful and offer excellent support!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  Yes and yes! The seller said they got it off someone who used it domestically.
                  Everything may well be as the seller claims Lindsay, however, you would be the third owner, alarm bells are ringing for me.

Comment

If the machine was from SA or WA, then scale will be an issue. In general the water in QLD is good. On the Gold Coast it is perfect for coffee machines, scale is virtually non existent. For a 10-15 yr old machine, it looks in good condition.
                    If you have a service receipt, you know what has been done. Nonetheless, budget for some extra work, it always happens with 2nd hand machines. You move it, and something breaks. They are a good unit and last a long time. I have seen machines in much worse condition. You can pick up units that have been used domestically, or seldomly, and are in good condition. They may be old, but in better condition than a 4 yr old machine, that has been thrashed.

Comment

Working...
                    X