Grimac La Uno refurb Project at a novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grimac La Uno refurb Project at a novice

Yesterday I picked up a Grimc La Uno, that was apparently shorting the power, had a rusty chassis and was in general poor condition. My intention is to give it a refurb and getting it looking good as new.

I've been doing a bit of research on the net and saw other projects so I've been excited to get started.

I found a really good article on how to empty the boiler, but apart from that I will be relying on a parts catalog I was able to find, and two posts I found with good pics but unfortunately the articles were in German.

Ill update soon with how I'm going and some pictures of the progression
    Last edited by Jthomas8; 3 October 2014, 09:14 AM.

You're trying to display a picture on here that is a local file on your computer. You will need to upload the pictures direct to the post. First of course you'll need to make the prerequisite 5 posts required before someone can upload files.

Java "http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-ne...icy-rules.html" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Ok so I've started the project.

I received the machine two days ago and immediately went about checking and testing the electrics and functions of the model before I started any repair.

I was advised when I picked it up that it had a few problems. These problems were;
      -function test of electronics failed (on service)
      -steam wand leaking.
      -rusty chassis.
      -boiler leaking.

Whilst I was testing the electronics I found that all the buttons were function and it appears the electronics are actually functional. I put this problem down to a bigger problem of the boiler leaking which probably caused the problems with the electrics.

I noted that when the machine turned on I immediately noticed steam and hot water leaking out of the top of the boiler depression 1/4" valve. Fortunately I had already purchased a new one of these and I can change this after I descale the internals.

I also noted that a light amount of steam was constantly coming from the steam wand as soon as the machine built up a little bit of pressure. I also noted the steam valve knob is loose.

Everything else seemed to function properly. eg. the group head warmed up, the hot water outlet supplied clear hot water, the pump filled the boiler and refilled after a bit of use.

My next step is to dismantle and do a descale, a thorough clean and check out the condition of the chassis.

I'll keep the updates coming as I progress. I've been taking loads of pics so I'll be sure to post them soon.
      Last edited by Jthomas8; 3 October 2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Next step dismantling the machine for repair.

Here I have commenced marking and photographing where all the electronics are plugged into and where the pipes go.

i was surprised at how easily and fast the machine came apart. Basically I dismantled the machine and ended up with three piles.
        1. Chassis
        2. Boiler and pipes
        3. Electrics and cords
        4. Stainless steel exterior and group headset.

At this point I was able to inspect the rust on the chassis. I took the chassis to my friends house who is a metal Worker. He placed the chassis in caustic acid bath. He said to leave it to soak for a week to remove the powder coat and rust from it so we can repair it. So in a week we will pull it out and hopefully the rust and paint will be gone and it will be back to bare metal.

I then set about cleaning the boiler and other parts. I placed the boiler, pipes and group head into de-scaler. And I started polishing the stainless steel and shiny parts. As well as wiped down the electrics and cords.

Some of the screws and bolts had seen better days so I soaked them in CLR and they came up good as new.

I topped up the de-scale fluid a few days later for the boiler, pipes and group head. I pulled them all out a few days later again. I pulled apart the group head and cleaned all the internals. I got some metal polish and polished up the boiler and pipes.

Now i wait to see how the chassis is going.

Comment

A picture says a thousand words! Keen to see your hard work.

Comment

I'm hoping to put some progress pictures soon, I'm just not able to upload pictures yet

Comment

Originally posted by Jthomas8 View Post
              I'm hoping to put some progress pictures soon, I'm just not able to upload pictures yet
              Interesting, I have a Grimac Mini (a few years older than yours I think) that had the same problems as yours. Anti-vac valve leaking plus wand. Parts replaced, a de-scale and hey presto, beautiful shots.

Comment

Unfortunately it looks as though my project has come to an abrupt end as the chassis is beyond repair, and I am not prepared to spend any further money on getting a new chassis fabricated for the machine.

I will be selling the rest of the machine for parts only.

Comment

I would love to see a picture of the chassis. You must be near your required number of posts.

Comment

Hi jthomas8 would be good to get some pics of the chassis up. It may still be repairable. I just restored a grimac mia which has the same internals as the uno. Happy to help you out in some way or another.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	738438Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2051.PNG
Size:	858.3 KB
ID:	738439Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2052.PNG