X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying advice for vbm: junior, super or super rotary

Help,

I'm in need of some buying advice.

Im upgrading from a silvia pid which makes good coffee but I'm looking for something more. I've decided on the vbm range after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and the looks along with the large drip tray got me in the end. Other machines don't interest me as much as the vbm and I am tossing up between the junior, super and super rotary. I only drink one straight espresso a day so the steam power isn't of interest to me. My question is will I get a better tasting shot from the super compared to the junior. Does the larger boiler allow for consistent temp extraction compared to the junior or is it mainly for greater steaming power. Also the super has a Commercially specified pressure stat and is this a noticeable extra feature. I guess in other words, considering I only drink espresso will I notice a difference between the junior and super. I wouldn't want to go ahead and get the junior and always think that I should have spent the extra on the super or am I overthinking things and the junior will do the same job as the super for my needs. If I was going with the super I think i would go ahead and get the rotary too.

Cheers

G'Day Karl,

Certainly sounds like you've done quite a bit of research, why not give Chris from Talk Coffee a call Vibiemme | Product Categories | Talk Coffee he stocks the VBM range and is well placed to offer expert advice.

Comment

I own a vbm super rotary. It is fantastic. The rotary is especially quiet and has a deep smooth sound compared to the vibration pump. This would be worth it for me. Can I tell the difference in the cup, hmm, i have never had a junior on the bench next to it, but probably couldn't tell much of difference to be honest.
      Am I glad I have the super, yes.
      Was it worth the extra money, over the long run yes.
      Si my advice is, if you have the money, get the super rotary.

Comment

Hi Karl,

The Super won't make a better shot than the Junior. But the Super should provide more reliability (Sirai pstat). Although, the extra $$ you spend on the super probably doesn't make sense if you are just chasing extra reliability. You would get the Super over the Junior for that extra capacity to deliver steam and hot water from that big boiler. From your brief, I would say go the Junior,

charlie

Comment

I thought the newest vbm junior have sirai pstat? What about the piccolo for just espresso?

the super has a 4L water tank which would be awesome

Comment

Don't know bout VBM's...

But theres one thing i know, if you dislike the sounds of a vibe pump just get the one with a rotary pump. But if i were you i could just live with it....

Nothing wrong with little bit of sound......
            Last edited by TheLudicrousBean; 15 October 2014, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Hey Karl I've done the same upgrade as you are looking at in the last couple months. I got the Jnr and loving it.
              Question- how big is your bench?? The super is a massive unit, so I went Jnr and loving it, no dramas. The Jnr will be absolutely fine for your espresso needs. Yes the vibe pumps are deerer but the extra cost and significant size increase made the Jnr the obvious choice for me.
              They are a beautiful unit and I love their lookat the quality and speed of coffee over my Rocky has been amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by javatime View Post
                I thought the newest vbm junior have sirai pstat? What about the piccolo for just espresso?

the super has a 4L water tank which would be awesome
                Whoops - yes of course it does! And for some time now!

charlie

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.
                  I'll have a chat to Chris and let you know how the upgrade goes

Comment

Working...
                  X