Black or white?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black or white?

ECM have been playing with some alternatives to stainless. Thoughts?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	black.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	756832Click image for larger version

Name:	white.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	756833

In my experience the surface finish and gloss level is the key to whether a coloured finish looks good on a coffee machine, rather than the actual colour, having dealt with custom refinishing of commercial machine stainless panels. Get the finish wrong and the panel looks 'plasticky' rather than looking like painted/powdercoated metal. Generally a low gloss finish works best, and black is easier to get looking good than white.

Comment

Ooooo... that black one looks very nice!

Comment

I have seen a white ECM Technika Profi in the flash, so to speak. It was stunning! However not stunning enough to dissuade me from buying it's big brother, an Elektronika Profi 11...in highly polished Stainless steel!

Comment

I owned the black version of the VBM Piccolo ie stainless front panel and black sides and back panel. I think I preferred it to the look of the all-stainless model.
          The white machine looks a bit overwhelming to my eyes - a bit plasticky even as per MorganGT's comment. but I'd be happy to try out the black in my kitchen (with black granite benchtops).

Comment

the black if done right would be my choice for sure

Comment

Restaurant across the street has a white Wega and it's pretty cool, certainly unique. Wouldn't be a fan of keeping it clean though.

Matte black would look good on a domestic machine. Gloss black looks too tacky.
              I've done some custom vinyl wraps of coffee machine panels with matte black vinyl and it always looks pretty good.

Comment

Black definitely looks the go - would be so much easier to keep clean

Comment

I've just channeled Michael Jackson on this one. He said "It don't matter if you're black or white."

Comment

A deep Cherry Red would be the go for me...

Mal.

Comment

Black with nice dials might look nice. it would suck to try to take out the brown bean colour out of a white machine cause by dashes of espresso... Although stainless steel is classic look and is typically associated with higher end things... What about nice woods and marble added to the mix...

Comment

Originally posted by stephen28 View Post
                        I've just channeled Michael Jackson on this one. He said "It don't matter if you're black or white."
                        Best not to rely on pop musicians for cues (particularly a bloke who spent half of his life trying to become a whiter shade of pale). You'd never get stuff resolved. INXS' 'Black and White' is probably more on point

Comment

You make a valid point Barry O Wise One. However Procal Harlem in a whiter shade of pail did proclaim "and the crowd cried out for more." And as for those 16 vestal virgins. How do you think they would fare on Coffeesnobs?

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
                            Restaurant across the street has a white Wega and it's pretty cool, certainly unique. Wouldn't be a fan of keeping it clean though.
                            White's not that unique on a Wega, we've done quite a few Polarises and Atlases in white.

Off the top of my head we've done machines in gloss black, gloss white, matt black, matt white, salmon pink, several shades of green including matt olive drab green, several shades of blue including duck egg blue, purple, navy blue, cream, scarlet, burgundy, several different yellows, silver, gold, several other metallic colours, wrinkle finish matt black, and a bunch of other finishes, either in powdercoat or paint, and the occasional vinyl wrap.
                            The most hassle was dismantling and rebuilding a Mazzer Kony grinder after having all the parts plated gold and copper (to match a gold/copper Elektra Belle Epoque). The plating changed the fitting tolerances on all the parts and made some of the reassembly very tricky, especially since we had to make sure none of the plated finish was marked during reassembly.
                            The other refinishing technique we use that works well bringing an older stainless machine back to looking 'as new' is linishing the panels, which imparts a grained 'brushed' finish in place of the original polished finish, which is a great way to remove scuff marks and minor dings and scrapes.

Comment

Fracino in the UK offer a "finishing touches" service for their commercial machines, which can be anything from a simple color choice, to vinyl wrap, leather, leopard skin effect, and even full gold plating !
                              Check their commercial m/c site for some interesting effects !
                              http://www.fracino.com/uploads/images/Snakeskin.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X