Looking to upgrade - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to upgrade - suggestions?

New to the forum and my first post. This question has probably been asked many times before but here I go anyway -
    Our current machine is the Breville Dual Boiler and it has started to play up so I'm looking to step up to the 'pointy end' i.e. I want to get a machine that will produce great espresso, latte, piccolo etc and last for years rather than months. From my research so far I'm expecting/willing to pay up to $3k for such a machine. The grinder is another story which I will address in the grinder section of the forum.
    So, I have come up with 4 possibilities at this stage:
    Lelit Mara PL62 - appeals for it's small footprint and quality
    Rocket Giotto PID V3 - good reputation
    Profitec Pro 500 - quality
    ECM Barista - recommended by a retailer as an entry level ECM
    ECM Mechanika IV - next step up from the Barista in quality
    I'm interested in anyone's experience and opinions on these machines or any others you might recommend. I appreciate 'taste' is a subjective thing but there is a lot of knowledge and experience on here that I'm hoping to draw on.
    We typically go through 6-8 milk based coffees a day and sometimes have guests when we make more than just the 2 at time. We both were able to pull a pretty decent shot from the Breville until it started playing up. I'm not interested in struggling with that machine any more. We love our coffee, I want to get us a good machine. Thanks.

Steve

Steve, welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

Your Breville Dual Boiler should last for years, not months. In what way is it playing up? Can it be fixed under warranty?

My BES900 is over three years old and still going strong. I did have an O ring replaced at year one. That was easily fixed under warranty.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
      Steve, welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

Your Breville Dual Boiler should last for years, not months. In what way is it playing up? Can it be fixed under warranty?

My BES900 is over three years old and still going strong. I did have an O ring replaced at year one. That was easily fixed under warranty.

Barry
      Thanks Barry. The Breville was all good up until a few weeks ago when it gradually began to decline in pressure - it became more and more difficult to achieve 9 bars and the the even when it did, the 1 & 2 cup auto shot function would stop way short of a decent extraction - like about 5 seconds only. I followed the maual instructions for testing pressure by putting an empty dual wall filter in and running it manually - it's suppose to reach at least 5 bars but it struggled to reach 3.5. Yes it is still under warranty, just, and we put it in for a warranty repair. The repairer said he replaced a solenoid or something that he said was typical for this earlier version. But when we got it home - it was only marginally better. So I took it to another authorised repairer and they replaced probe set and solenoid valve. Still not what it used to be with the 1 & 2 shot function not working properly and I still think there is a problem with the pressure. Anyway, thats enough for me, I'm over it. I don't mean to dis Brevillie, it made great coffee when working well, it just felt like time to move on.

I have since been to Jet Black and after talking at length to Charlie, I got the Lelit Mara. Charlie was most helpful and I love the look of this machine. I just pulled my first piccolo late and I'm pretty impressed with the results. With a just a little tweaking with the grind, dose and tamp and I reckon I'll be back in piccolo heaven.

Comment

I also upgraded from BDB about a month ago and was about to pull the trigger on VMB Junior, but after chatting with Charlie from Jetblack got Lelit Mara instead. The jury is still out there on the longevity of the machine (very recent model), but appears to be a great build and awesome performer. You would be surprised with very little effort how well you can do, and better the majority of coffee shops out there with some good beans. I wish my body can handle caffeine a bit better so I can drink coffee after coffee after coffee. It is that good.

I am happy with my purchase, but I bet you would be just as happy buying anything in this price range. Check the Lelit Mara thread for a lot more info, including Charlie's selling spin on it in one of my posts (he got me there, that's for sure) :-)
        Last edited by jabbba; 12 November 2014, 04:04 PM. Reason: Only after posting I realised that you decided and purchased the machine. Congrats...

Comment

Hi
          I'm not 2 good at coffee machines, but I can advise u good grinder.
          At home I`ve this one Baratza Preciso UK | Coffee Grinders | CoffeeHit use it about 2 years.
          have a look at the description, perhaps you`ll like it.

Comment

Hi Banny,

Welcome. You might want to lose the links to commercial non-sponsor sites (you've made 6 posts and three contain links to the same site). Have a good one.

BOSW

Comment

If the dual boiler design appeals to you, the Lelit Diana (PL60T V2) is another great machine.
              A little less dollars on the machine, leaving you with more for the grinder (as has been said in the past, grinder possibly more important for quality and consitency)

I have one that's been brilliant for 18 months, it'll do back to back milky drinks all day long if you can be bothered standing there.
              Fast re-cycle, super-stable and easily adjustable temps with the PID.
              fast to heat up and again a small footprint (wider than the PL62, but not as deep)

A couple of small issues I had were a couple of slightly leaky connections, but Lelit have supplied upgraded connectors and no doubt if you ask the vendors nicely they may check any stock they have and retro-fit them for you.
              And the case screws are not stainless steel. So the leak corroded the zinc plated screws
              Again the vendors may upgrade them to SS versions on Lelit's behalf, it's less than a dollars worth of screws and 1/2 an hour of their time to do so.

Comment

Working...
              X