Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancillio S27 Worth?

Hello,

I'm a new member and I am an American so I know that I'm posting on a website for another country. So hopefully that doesn't change much as far as the information I seek.

I have been given a Rancillio S27. It has seen better days. I took it to my semi-local espresso shop and they looked at it for me (+$75).

They have now told me the following:

***************Parts Estimate*****************
    1 - 10705960 - pump ......................................$168.08
    1 - 36301046- group gasket ...............................$2.02
    1 - 40200005 - group screen ..............................$3.64
    1 - 37030518 - group screen screw ....................$0.29
    1 - 34030029 - switch .........................................$6.99
    3 - 02290016 - o-ring .......$1.40 ea x 3................$4.20
    Total Estimated Parts………………………………….$185.22

****************Labor Estimate****************
    Time to prepare estimate………………………………..………..1.00 hrs.
    Replace pump ………............................................... ...... 1.25 hrs.
    Clean group head and replace gasket & screen........... 0.75 hrs.
    Disassemble/descale/reassemble the 3-way valve ........1.0 hrs.
    Final bench check & clean the cabinet .......................... 1.0 hrs.
    Total Estimated Labor @ 75.00/hr X 5.0 hrs……………..$375.00

GRAND TOTAL Estimate of Parts & Labor …………….$485.22
    So I am looking at $500 to get this thing fixed and operational. It will still need a paint job on the metal front, as there is some rust.

I need to know if this is worth it or not. What do you think? Advice?

Hi OneBlessedGuy,
    I own an S24 which is basically the same machine.
    To be honest, the Labour Estimate seems a tad extreme. It certainly doesn't take 45 mins to clean the group and replace those parts. He also looks to have left off one of the main priorities: a full descale of the boiler, which takes a good few hours (if not days in extreme cases) to do.
    These machines are renowned for scale build up when mistreated - as yours is sounding to be - so that would be a first priority. The good news however is that they're relatively straightforward to fix/rebuild yourself, if you're the tinkering type. There's plenty of info out there regarding this, and I'm happy to point you in the right direction.

Having said all that, I certainly wouldn't spend US$500 on this machine to bring it back to life. You could probably find a well looked after second hand copy for around the same price. When looked after they will last a lifetime.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Comment

I really appreciate the feedback! I thought it was a bit high. Would you buy the parts and do it yourself, including replacing the pump?

Comment

Yeah. Parts for this machine are readily available through almost any coffee parts shop. I usually get mine through coffeeparts.com.au (see the site sponsers) though you may be interested in something more local.

The great thing about these machines is how much room you have to work with under the hood. Replacing specific parts is relatively straightforward. But, if you're not the tinkering type this process can be a little daunting. As i said though, HEAPS of info out there

To be honest though...my main concern from your description is the rust. There shouldn't be any rust anywhere since you're dealing with stainless steel parts...I would hate to imagine how far it's spread throughout the machine; and when dealing with consumables, rust is a big no-no.

If you can, pics would be great to see the state of the machine, and whether or not it's worth the effort to rebuild.

Aaron

Comment

Here is an image. Strangely this is the only one I can find right now. Sorry for the bad angle and such.

Thanks again!

Comment

Wow... There's scale build up even on the hot water wand! :O My guess is the boiler is chokkas...

Looks like there's a fair amount of work involved in rejuvenating her, but if you're up for it she'll be worth it. If you're not into spending the time to rebuild something like this, you may be more inclined to buy a decent secondhand S24-27.

Hope that helps.

Comment

As a commercial machine to go back into service, certainly its worth nothing and certainly its not worth bringing it back to life (for commercial use) because it will still be worth nothing. However in terms of the kind of "re homing" that home enthusiasts do to bring a machine back to life and use it at home (ie not commercially), then it introduces some tangential discussion.

In that sense I think you are being a little unkind in regard to the estimates for time spent. Notice it says "....Estimated labor..."

You never know (as a repairer) what you are getting yourself into with these things and the first thing you do with something in that kind of external looking condition is take it out the back and scrub it down. ALL of this stuff takes time to do. I'm guessing the repairer has built plenty of fat into his estimate to cater for unknowns and stuff he hasn't said (like I'm gonna take it out the back and spend time cleaning it up before I can put it the workbench and work on it...). Each to their own (in terms of the way they prepare their Quotes or Estimates).

The frame isnt stainless steel its just steel, ergo the rust under the drip tray. Its common enough except this appears to be worse than most....

Note how far around the group handle goes. Worn group ring? Worn lugs on group handle? Or just a missing seal...?

I dont think there is any *scale* on the outside of the steam pipe although there could be plenty of milk scum there...

For a machine that presumably because of its external condition/appearance has been given away for free, for me this would appear to be quite an acceptable price IF you could look into your crystal ball and be satisfied that it will be a runner (if not good looking externally) at the end of the service.

The problem really isnt the price...its the fact that no one is going to guarantee that the initial estimate of price will guarantee a properly functioning machine with nothing more to spend. The initial quote is often only what is obvious at the time. When the repairer gets into it and starts the rectifications, that is when unforeseen extras come to light, with added cost. For example you cant fully quote a repair when a machine is not functioning. You have to get it functioning to find out what else is going on.....or not.

So no one can answer the question for you. Are you a gambling man, because that is what it comes down to.

And to take it a little further....what is anyone's opinion about what a going machine is worth on the home market, worth? What if it costs $800.00, or $900.00, and you end up with a fully functioning goer, and all you have to do is buy a couple of spray cans of paint and use a bit of elbow grease to rub it down and give it a lick of paint. Is that no good? Is that ok? Is it acceptable? Is it great? What if you buy a goer for $500.00, but it still needs 3 or 4 hundred on top of that to sort it regardless. is that not the same//////????????

Atleast with this machine you start with a zero entry price, and you budget for the worst. Set a budget you are not prepared to go over, keep it to yourself, and speak with the repairer about what he thinnks the bottom line is for this machine.

Have you asked the repairer (seeing as they have looked at it to do the quote) what they think? (My own workshop will advise people if they are flogging a dead horse...otherwise all that happens later is it/they come back to bite you, so honesty is the best policy rather than just taking people's money).

Hope that helps.
              Last edited by TOK; 11 December 2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X