Rocket Giotto V3 PID setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Giotto V3 PID setting

I'm curious as to what others have set their PID on.

Out of the box the setting was 124C. This seemed too high. The manual recommends 118C to 121C. I dropped it to 123C but I found the group head and a locked in group handle still very hot. Can't hold it. When I do a purge a fair amount of steam comes out. Incidentally the shots are great.

What do you all have your PID set to?

Hi Barri,

No reason not to drop it down to play and see how you go :-)

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.
      On 123/124 (About 1.35 bars) it is much hotter than my old VBM Jnr. Is the release of (excess) steam on a purge normal?

Comment

Try 1.0-1.2 Bar barri

Cheers

Chris

Comment

My V3's PID is 123C. Pressure is 1.15 1.25 max. No steam. Cooling shot not required. Of course the group and group handle insert is hot - it is meant to be as the brew water temp is around 95C (PID dependent) cycles through the e61 group.
          My old Rocket at work's pressure maxes at 1.3bars.
          Both making superb coffee one is still using an 8 year old Rocky grinder grinds.
          Have fun, enjoy, top notch HX machine. Excellent steam and of course wondrous to behold. Get sunglasses to cope with the bling!

Comment

Originally posted by dumiya View Post
            My V3's PID is 123C. Pressure is 1.15 1.25 max. No steam. Cooling shot not required. Of course the group and group handle insert is hot - it is meant to be as the brew water temp is around 95C (PID dependent)
            My old Rocket at work's pressure maxes at 1.3bars.
            Both making superb coffee one is still using an 8 year old Rocky grinder grinds.
            Have fun, enjoy, top notch HX machine. Excellent steam and of course wondrous to behold. Get sunglasses to cope with the bling!
            Interesting that your 123C equates to 1.15 to 1.25 while my 123C equates to 1.35 bars.

Comment

Probably minor variations in the electronics. I would drop your PID setting to 122C and see if that stops the steam. This is the huge advantage of an adjustable PID. My supplier said play with it.
              I will recheck my setting tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by barri View Post
                Interesting that your 123C equates to 1.15 to 1.25 while my 123C equates to 1.35 bars.
                G'day barri,

FWIW, far more likely to be variations in the gauge reading rather than the way the machine operate. As an example, we have seen anywhere between 9 and 11 Bar displayed on system pressure gauges when we get 9 Bar at the group. Boiler pressure gauges are the same design, so I'd expect similar variation may occur.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

A follow up. I changed the PID to 119C which dropped the pressure to 1.05 bars. There is an acceptable amount of steam now when purging, room temperature is cold which adds to that but it wasn't gushing or exploding out like it did on 1.35 bars. I was very concerned about this as my old VBM Jnr never gushed steam out like that.

One question Chris, when you bench tested my machine you used a scace device and adjusted an internal nut so the reading was 125. What exactly is that setting and how does that equate to the 1.35 bars or the overly high temperature I was getting initially.

Comment

Working...
                  X