Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts and Repair Warranty.

G'day all.

Just putting something out there to create some interesting convo.

Last July, my Rocket Giotto's control board gave up after 6 years of service.

I purchased a new board and fitted it myself. (Wiring mod done also).

6 months later the machine stops working.

I've tested everything that can be tested (other than the board) and everything checks out ok.

So this time I send it in for repair and sure enough the board is cactus.

New board fitted and machine working fine again.

The new board I fitted lasted 6 months (confirmed it was fitted correctly by the shop).

Warranty on new boards is only 3 months.

I'm a bit pissed that I've spent $600 on the same problem in 6 months to be told that these boards only have 3 months warranty.

The same thing 'could' happen again in 4 months and I'll be out of pocket another $300.

Is this warranty the norm?

Thx

Hi Jimbo,

It's rare to see a board not last well- however, things like power surges can kill them.

Parts carry a 3 month warranty, but if you fit them yourself, there is actually no warranty- reason being that whilst your tech can verify it's fitted correctly now, mistakes made during installation cannot be eliminated.

Always best to pay the inexpensive labour ransom on a job like this.

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 23 January 2015, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks Chris.

I suppose my point is that 3 months is not very good warranty regardless of who fits the board.

I can definitely rule out power surge and incorrect fitment.

I hope I haven't lucked out with another 'rare' problem board.

Cheers.

Jim

Comment

Regardless of what, if any, warranties are provided, Australian consumer law requires that such goods are of acceptable quality. Included in the definition of quality is that the goods must be durable and operate for a reasonable duration. Whilst the duration is not specified, it does take into account the nature of the goods, price paid, etc.

6 months life for a such a component seems to not meet this requirement; however I would think it would be difficult to prove that there were no other influencing/contributory factors that affected the life in this case.

If the new one fitted by the shop only lasts 6 months, you may have a better case. (Edit: but still likely a difficult task)

Comment

I would agree on three months being a bit short to meet the "reasonable time" expectation. Especially for a domestic machine, maybe in a commercial environment that would stand. In my industry (Air conditioning) spare parts have a 1 year warranty (replacement only) and if you make a claim it is subject to inspection of the part to ascertain that it was not damaged by something else. The best thing to do is to start putting your complaint in writing to whoever repaired your machine last asking nicely what they will do and then escalate if necessary.
          Oops just read your post again and disregard the bit about who repaired it last. My comment about 3 months only on parts still stems stands.

Comment

I think that's why it's important to dot them and cross them.

The importers stance (and quite rightly) is that if you perform repairs yourself, you do so at your own risk. In addition, electrical work must be performed by a qualified machine tech. Wire a board incorrectly- cook it. You do it? Tough luck- buy another board. Tech does it? Get another board and the business has to wear the expense.

If you're not qualified and for the sake of the expense of 20 or 30min labour, it's prudent and safest to do the right thing.

Should something then go pop, you have a leg to stand on.

Comment

Chris, I understand what you're saying re fitting the board yourself. No argument there.

What I'm saying is that the latest board was replaced by a vendor on here and I still only get 3 months warranty if it fails again.

Let me ask this.

If I sent my Giotto to you Chris and you replaced the control board, would you fix my machine under warranty if the board failed again after 3 months?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                Chris, I understand what you're saying re fitting the board yourself. No argument there.

What I'm saying is that the latest board was replaced by a vendor on here and I still only get 3 months warranty if it fails again.

Let me ask this.

If I sent my Giotto to you Chris and you replaced the control board, would you fix my machine under warranty if the board failed again after 3 months?
                Hi Jimbo,

If that were to happen, I'd be fighting for you and you'd also have Australian Consumer law on your side.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Thx Chris.

Is that a yes, no or may be? hehehe

My invoice states that all parts and labour are subject to a 3 month warranty.

Where do I stand with my vendor?

How much warranty do you give on your parts and labour Chris?

The answer will determine where I send my machine in the future for any other work.

Comment

Thx Chris.

Is that a yes, no or may be? hehehe

My invoice states that all parts and labour are subject to a 3 month warranty.

Where do I stand with my vendor?

How much warranty do you give on your parts and labour Chris?

The answer will determine where I send my machine in the future for any other work.
                    Given I'm in Melbourne, I suspect you won't be sending it down to me!

In this case, the importer sets the warranty and we have to "tow the line" so to speak. That said, whenever I have approached the importer and said "Hey, event x happened, followed by explanatory story y, I have always been rewarded with support which we have passed on in turn to the client. All businesses should be aware of Australian consumer law and it's a good thing to choose an ethical one!

So- electricals- 3 months, consumables zero unless they are defective, labour- support as appropriate and dependent on the series of events. Regardless of these provisions, fairness for both parties and a satisfactory outcome is paramount. Our clients are the most important component of our marketing strategy.

Comment

OK. So all vendors have the same warranty (3 months).

Then it's up to the importer if they want to go beyond the 3 months.

What does Australian Consumer Law have to do with it.

If the importer offers 3 months, then no one has a leg to stand on after that.

Comment

You could read it that way. Alternately, you might read it as most people and plenty of businesses are actually pretty fair. As well as being a cultural thing, it's also the right thing to do.

We have frequently "worn one", "given a freebie" or otherwise supported a client. Regardless, this is all hypothetical as you chose to do the work yourself and therefore passed on the warranty. For all we know, despite your assurances, you or the environment of your home may have been the source of the premature demise of the board.

If you have an issue in 3, 6 or 12 months you will have an opportunity to see where you stand with your repairer.

Comment

What does Australian Consumer Law have to do with it.

If the importer offers 3 months, then no one has a leg to stand on after that.
                          Why do you say that? At a practical level, there may be a very considerable problem of evidence re cause/effect, but if it could be shown that the boards (and not contributory negligence / other faults) were the cause of failure after an unreasonably short time, why would the case not fall under the statutory consumer guarantee?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                            Why do you say that? At a practical level, there may be a very considerable problem of evidence re cause/effect, but if it could be shown that the boards (and not contributory negligence / other faults) were the cause of failure after an unreasonably short time, why would the case not fall under the statutory consumer guarantee?
                            ...and how will I prove that if I'm not a so called "tech" as Chris puts it.

I'll have to rely on my repairer.

And for the record, I'm an avionics engineer, Not some back yard cowboy that has no idea.

Great discussion by the way!

Comment

...I'm an avionics engineer
                              In which case, I'm surprised you haven't repaired the board and then flown it to the manufacturer to discuss your experiences face to face!

Comment

Working...
                              X