Domobar Jnr making plane coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domobar Jnr making plane coffee

Hi guys I have a Domobar Jnr matched with a Mini Mazzer both less than 12 months old. Lately my coffees have been lacking favour and body. I have tried 3 different brands of coffee (all fresh beans) and grind settings, more beans, tamping pressures.
    Any ideas on why only plane, lacking body and full flavour?? I have noticed 2 of my 3 coffee beans were of a lighter roast.

Thanks

We need a lot more info before we try to sort out your problem. eg doubles or singles, dose amount/weight, levelling, tamp, age of beans, roast date, cleanliness of machine, your technique etc etc etc.

Comment

G'day mmm,

Lighter roast- yes. You will probably need a very tight pour to get anything remotely drinkable (and then it's still not what I want to drink as an espresso). Remedy? Buy fresh espresso roast.

On another note, when was your machine last serviced and checked?

Comment

Thanks guys. Here's some more info...
        Double shots in VST baskets
        18-20g with pour of 25seconds
        Drink milk based drinks- flat whites
        Age of beans from 1 week-3weeks (used up by 3 weeks after roast date)
        Machine is spotless and regularly back washed etc.
        Machine hasn't been services- noticed that if I over dose it make a squeezing sound (done since new) is this normal??

Hope that helps.

Comment

Machine is only about 8 months old too

Comment

Try winding the pour out to more like a 35 sec double ristretto and see how it goes.

Comment

If I let is run longer it overextracts and goes a very pale/ clear pour

Comment

"...Any ideas on why only plane, lacking body and full flavour??..."

The beans / blend / roast.

Referring back to post # 3 = "...Remedy? Buy fresh espresso roast..."

Comment

Originally posted by mmmcoffee View Post
                  What you are describing is underextracted light roast. Assuming the machine is operating correctly and your technique is satisfactory, these light roasts do benefit from a tight pour (as mentioned to deliver double ristretto volume in more like 35 sec from the appearance of the first drops). That said, I'd still rather pour many of the examples of very light roast espresso into the sink rather than consume them.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what aircraft have to do with coffee ;-P

Comment

Originally posted by mmmcoffee View Post
                      try grinding finer so that its almost but not quite choking the machine.

Another possibility if its suddenly going very pale is channeling. Do you have or can you borrow a naked portafilter? If not, when you look at the puck after the shot, are there any cracks or holes?

Comment

I was going to mention channeling also as a possibility of early blonding. Easily diagnosed with a naked PF and could be a possibility as some people report the VST baskets being finicky?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                          I'm still trying to figure out what aircraft have to do with coffee ;-P
                          Guarantee of very plane bad coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by water_dragon View Post
                            Guarantee of very plane bad coffee!
                            But should at least be smooth.

Comment

yes this is my only contribution i'm sorry

Comment

Working...
                              X