Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - advice on machine upgrade for home

Hi All.

I would appreciate some advice please. I am looking at upgrading my home machine and am either looking at a new or reconditioned secondhand one (preferably only 12 months old)
    The machine I would like is a La Marzocco Gs3, as I am sure lots of us would like (just can't justify the price)

so here is my list.
    Expobar megacrem
    ECM Technica
    Wega Polaris / Atlas

any advice would be appreciated
    Phil

Hi Phil,

Welcome to Coffee Snobs! I think people would be able to help you better if you gave a budget for what you are willing to spend. It would also be good more specifically what your requirements are(i.e. plumbed in, power etc.) and to know if you are willing to have other machines suggested to you.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

thanks Dave good point.

wish list:

rotary pump but not essential
      15 amp power
      dual boiler
      single or 2 group heads
      would prefer volumetric
      initially not plumbed but maybe later on (after kitchen reno)
      looking at budget of $3000 can be second hand (obviously at this price range) but not too old would prefer max of 3 years old.

cheers
      Phil

Comment

I'm assuming you've seen the Rocket R58 in the classifieds section at the moment?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...ocket-r58.html

Comment

Izzo Alex Duetto III | Talk Coffee

Comment

La Spaziale mini Vivaldi II | Talk Coffee

Doesn't tick all the boxes, but definitely worth looking at.

Comment

Here's another one for you to check out
              Alex Duetto ll - For Sale
              It would also help to let everyone know where you are located for postage reasons.

Comment

Thanks for all the links so far. Also looking at the Dalla Corte Mini - looks like a very solid machine albeit not the most attractive :-(
                Located in Tassie as far as postage goes.

Comment

My advice, as someone who recently upgraded, would be to seriously consider getting something plumbable. It's not hard to plumb a machine in, and especially so if you are planning a kitchen reno anyway. It is really great to not have to worry about refilling the tank and emptying the drip tray. It is almost my favourite feature of my new machine (behind improved espresso quality).

David

Comment

Originally posted by PhilWebb View Post
                    Thanks for all the links so far. Also looking at the Dalla Corte Mini - looks like a very solid machine albeit not the most attractive :-(
                    Located in Tassie as far as postage goes.
                    Don't get too hung up on portafilter size, but you do realize the DC Mini is only fitted with a 53mm PF.

Comment

Yes I was aware of that thanks LeroyC

Yep that is a nice feature David, the Super Mini DC is the plumbed in model
                      And it also has the rotary pump. Will have to check but I would think you could use it without hard plumbing it in (until the renos are done that is) it's a bit larger and a bigger price tag as well. So many choices.

Comment

PhilWeb,
                        Mains pressure is not necessary for plumbed in machines ,as long as the water supply is available and one way valve inline and operational.
                        My commercial machine (LaCimbali) has been banished out the back door,I reckon it's the perfect position, have the sink with water supply however,the water connection is to my rain water tank,not the usual mains connection, saves with calcium free and exceptionally clean/fresh water ,also through a first flush prefilter system.
                        Have you considered similar arrangement ?
                        cheers,
                        mick.

Comment

G'day again Phil,
                          I was just wondering if there any reason that you only want a double boiler machine as opposed to a heat exchange (HX) type?
                          Good luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by mulquemi View Post
                            PhilWeb,
                            Mains pressure is not necessary for plumbed in machines ,as long as the water supply is available and one way valve inline and operational.
                            My commercial machine (LaCimbali) has been banished out the back door,I reckon it's the perfect position, have the sink with water supply however,the water connection is to my rain water tank,not the usual mains connection, saves with calcium free and exceptionally clean/fresh water ,also through a first flush prefilter system.
                            Have you considered similar arrangement ?
                            cheers,
                            mick.
                            Hi Mick.

We are on tank water anyway, good point about the one way valve. I did not think of that. Where my current machine is, it's nowhere near a water supply so I was thinking about just getting a larger tank and using it that way ( easier to fill and when you need to do lots you will have a larger supply of water) same with the drip tray.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lovey View Post
                              G'day again Phil,
                              I was just wondering if there any reason that you only want a double boiler machine as opposed to a heat exchange (HX) type?
                              Good luck in your search.
                              I currently have a single boiler machine so going double boiler this time.
                              As far as HX machines go, I just prefer boilers as they are not made of Alluminium as HX blocks seem to be. Also I think the heating of the boilers is simpler. Not that I have pulled any machines apart to confirm this.

Comment

Working...
                              X