Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profitec 500 versus ECM T IV Profi

Hi

I am looking to upgrade my machine and have narrowed they crazy amount of choices down to two machines the Profitec 500 and ECM T IV Profi WT-TC, really based on what appears to the quality of the machines.

They are both around the same price, from what I can see the Profitec appears to have a slight edge on quality, the ECM has a Rotary pump and the the pressure gauges are better located. Other than that they appear to be on par.

Does anyone have any experience that would help me to break this deadlock

G'day Smoothbrew,
    I'll preface my post by saying that I have no experience with either machine, but they both seem to be very capable, high quality machines.
    If you have definitely settled for either one of these 2 and you can't be swayed to other choices, I would highly recommend that you have a play with both of them, even better if you can do it side by side.
    At this upper end of the spendy spectrum, you'll find the differences in certain functions, ergonomics and functionality to be minor at best. Having said that, a minor difference can be the difference between 'loving' and 'putting up with' a machine.
    You might find that a switch action on one machine really irks you, or the way the lever operates may be different on each machine. These tiny things can be deal breakers and unless you've tried each one, you'll never really know how irksome a certain function of a machine is until after you've spent your hard earned and it's sitting on your bench.
    Sorry I couldn't offer you any advice on the machines you've mentioned, but hopefully I can help in some small way.
    Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothbrew View Post
      Hi

ECM T IV Profi WT-TC
      ECM's model naming is getting a bit crazy!

Comment

The rotary pump is a great feature, so quiet and smooth.

As above have a good play with each machine if you can, it will doubt help you make the right choice.

Cheers

Comment

My last two machines have been the ECM Technika Profi IV (vibe pump) and now the Profitec 700. They're both great machines and the fit and finish are wonderful. If you're going HX though I'd personally prefer the ECM. As artman mentions, the rotary pump is heaps quieter and I prefer the aesthetics of the ECM. Both will produce great coffee.

Comment

Hi smoothbrew.
            I'm having the same dilemma as you, having narrowed my choice to these two machines.
            I do like the stainless steel rails for the drip tray on the Profitec as opposed to the painted rails on the ECM where the paint had worn off and exposed the metal on the demo machine I looked at.
            I am leaning towards the Profitec however the rotary pump on the ECM for the same price is very tempting. Not sure if the extra little bit of quietness lives up to the hype as grinding the beans is going to be a lot noisier than either machine pump!
            I think Lovey has offerred the best advice. We both need to have a bit of a play with these two machines to break the deadlock. Good luck.
            Mal

Comment

I don't know about these two machines in particular, but in general the advantage of a rotary pump is if you want to plumb the machine to the water mains. That is well worth doing IMHO.

Comment

If you haven't already seen any videos these two might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfW2A-5vrCI
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBtZ3Bkk3g4

If you're a milk drinker then as mentioned above its worth comparing their steaming ability. For example, I own the VBM Jnr and Rocket Giotto V3 and both steam well but the Rocket is more forgiving and easier as I can steam with the jug resting on the drip tray, hands free. Also if you like using mugs check the clearance from the group head to the drip tray.

Good luck. You basically can't lose. It may boil down to aesthetics. I love looking at my Rocket every day

Comment

Thanks guys for the input, I would love to do a hands on bench test on both machines side by side but I don't know any shop in sydney that has both on display.

Brewster its interesting that you say that the rails on the ECM are chromed I had assumed they were stainless, could I ask was that demo machine the top of the line ECM profi(WT-WC) model as it has some internal differences such as a stainless steel boiler as opposed to the copper boilers in all of the other models.

In regards to the rotary pump I have never owned a machine with one so I am not fully across the pros and cons, obviously it is quieter than a vibe and it allows the machine to be plumbed in. But how about reliability an maintainability, the vibe pump is pretty simple and cheap and easy to replace(around $60-70) its also really reliable, rotary pumps are around $200-300, how do they compare with reliability, are they and are they easy to maintain and replace ?.

Barri I did look at the Rocket and it is certainly a good looking machine, it is a strong contender the thing that concerned me about that system was the nickel coated boiler I talked to a few shops about this and none of them seemed to know much about it. My main concern was that if the nickel is in contact with the waterline there would be a high likelyhood it will leech into the water (especially with temperatures and pressures involved) , however as none of the shops I went to could provide much info and would not let me open up a machine for me to have a look inside, I just put that option aside.

Comment

G'day Smoothbrew,
                    It looks like Di Bartoli and Jetblack have both of these machines in their inventory. It would pay to give them a call and see if they can tee up some demos for you.
                    Good luck with your quest.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input, I would love to do a hands on bench test on both machines side by side but I don't know any shop in sydney that has both on display.

My main concern was that if the nickel is in contact with the waterline there would be a high likelyhood it will leech into the water (especially with temperatures and pressures involved) , however as none of the shops I went to could provide much info and would not let me open up a machine for me to have a look inside, I just put that option aside.
                      A very strange concern smoothybrew. Haven't heard anyone complain about that before. There are many happy Rocket owners out there over many years.

Anyway I wasn't steering you in that direction, I was trying to point about differences between machines that you may not have considered.

Comment

Brewster its interesting that you say that the rails on the ECM are chromed I had assumed they were stainless, could I ask was that demo machine the top of the line ECM profi(WT-WC) model as it has some internal differences such as a stainless steel boiler as opposed to the copper boilers in all of the other models..
                        Smoothbrew.
                        In my post I said that the rails on the ECM were painted, not chromed.
                        This is the link to the machine at site sponsor Di Bartoli that I was looking at. http://dibartoli.com.au/ecm-manufact...ceted_search=0

As Lovey says, site sponsors Di Bartoli and Jetblack both have these machines set up and are both located in Sydney.

Comment

We have both of these machines on our bench. The Pro 500 is on demo duty every day. Dibartoli are also a Profitec dealer but currently don't have a Pro 500 on their bench.

FWIW, if I wasn't plumbing the machine, I'd go for the vibe pump over the rotary because I prefer the slower ramp up in brew pressure. Noise can be a problem on machines where the vibe pump isn't mounted to insulate vibration properly, but on the Pro 500, it is pretty quiet. But that's one thing that can be demonstrated pretty easily.

charlie

Comment

Barri,

No problem I appreciate your input, I am suprised though that not many people appear to be concerned about the boilers electroplated with nickel. It was something thats been out there for a few years now, these concerns first gained publicity with kettles that had electroplated elements, and in kettles you find that now most kettles either have stainless or covered elements.

Here's a couple of links that relate to this:

Electric kettles may damage your health, scientists warn | Society | The Guardian
                            http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...ckel2ndadd.pdf

I guess that everyone has to make up their minds based on the evidence available, and like all research its hard to find 100% conclusive evidence and people tend not to all have the same reactions. However it does appear to be something that is of enough concern to attract a reasonable amount of research.

Comment

Hey smoothbrew,

Did you end up managing to try both of these machines?

Al

Comment

Working...
                              X