Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying advice - ECM v Rocket

Hi guys,

Iv been trolling the forum for the past few months and looking to upgrade by Silvia to a HX or possibly a DB. I have been fairly set on going for an ECM Mechanika profi with vibe pump, which will come to just shy of $3000. I have been toying with the idea of going for the Rocket R58 also, as I can get one of these for not a great deal more money. Is there any real benefits to stepping up to the R58 other than the PID? I don't really forsee myself wanting to vary brewing temps, so this feature doesn't offer a great deal to me. I don't intend to plumb the machine in either as I have nice caesar stone bench tops which the wife would kill me for if I drilled through them . Im told by sources that the build quality of the ECM is higher, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

In addition, another machine that is on the list is the ECM barista. This machine comes in slightly cheaper than the mechanika, does anyone have review or personal experience on it?

Comment

Welcome Snedden
      I don't have any advice - just didn't want you to feel unloved. Except that I envy your predicament.

Comment

Hello Snedden,

Sounds like you could look at the Rocket Evoluzione as well. It's Rotary pump and better competitor to the ECM units mentioned. It's rotary pump and HX.

Comment

Originally posted by snedden9485 View Post
          Hi guys,

I have been fairly set on going for an ECM Mechanika profi with vibe pump, which will come to just shy of $3000.

Cheers
          You can get into the ECM T IV Profi with rotary pump for just under $3k so the vibe pump tank version Mechanika should be less than that. Personally I would absolutely go with rotary pump version.

Comment

I'm going to go for a chrome mechanika with vibe pump for around that $2500 mark. I think it's a good balance between $$$ and performance for me. I'll post some pics up when it's set up. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mouldy View Post
              You can get into the ECM T IV Profi with rotary pump for just under $3k so the vibe pump tank version Mechanika should be less than that. Personally I would absolutely go with rotary pump version.
              Why the "absolutely" for the rotary?

Comment

I would also back the rotary option any day. I've tested several vibe models and while some are quieter than others, some do squeal horribly (like my old Bezzera D Galatea). The switch to a rotary pump machine made me realise I couldn't ever go back to a vibe pump model again. In my own personal opinion it's worth the extra money, and should circumstances or mood change, the plumbing option is great.

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                  Why the "absolutely" for the rotary?
                  Personal preference, and for many of the same reasons stated by gonzo89. I've owned machines with vibe pumps and machines with rotary pumps. I can say that I would never choose to go back to vibe. Noise, reliability, build quality, longevity, etc etc.

Comment

I went with the ECM Mechanika IV rotary pump and never looked back, ~$2800 delivered (vibe pump would of saved ~$250), relatively quick warm up time, good steam power and quiet operation, though I'd assume the Rocket Evoluzione would be similar (equivalent rotary pump style)
                    Wasn't as bigger fan of the ECM Barista model cosmetically.

Comment

I got my mechanika iv profi with vibe pump for $2600 and I love it. A great upgrade from the rancilio silvia. I really notice the quality difference and the steam wand is much better. More power and nicer to get microfoam.

I Find the vibe pump too noisy to be honest, obviously louder than a rotary, but still fine IMO. My grinder makes more noise. I love the look of this thing on the bench. It's a work of art!

Comment

Its safe to say im absolutely loving the ECM. Getting great pours and foams the milk so nicely. It has great steam pressure and the HX makes the process so much quicker. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by snedden9485 View Post
                          Its safe to say im absolutely loving the ECM. Getting great pours and foams the milk so nicely.
                          Great to hear enjoy your machine

Comment

I've just upgraded from a ECM GIOTTO Premium (pre Rocket vintage) to aECM Mechanika (with Vibration pump) - I love it - steaming noticeably better and m/c much quieter - reckon the combo of original Italian design with German reliability reputation is a winner.

Comment

Well done sjs and congrats on the new kit,

It's not much of a surprise that your new machine is quieter. It's a new machine!

Your comments may make people inclined to think that Rocket/ECM are not reliable and I would like to reassure potential purchasers that they're (Rocket) are not the most popular machine in Australia for pictures alone.

ECM Germany took what they wanted from ECM Italy and now build their own machines. Both brands are well built.

Comment

Working...
                              X