Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bang for buck?

Hi,
    Spent far too much time searching on the internet and it's just time to bite the bullet and buy. Looking to spend about $2000 for a machine, probably a HX and would like new if possible. What is the best bang for buck at the moment? Are there any shops with good deals or is there a best time to buy?

Contact a few of our great sponsors. Often they have a special or a demo model. They only stock good quality gear.
    A lot depends on where you live. And what is most important you get good after sale service and advice.

Comment

G'day mate...

What sort of grinder do you have?
      Pretty important to have a decent one...

Mal.

Comment

It's a good idea to let us know where you live. No use us recommending shops on the east coast of you live in Perth.
        If possible, go to a showroom and check out a range of machines.

The best time to buy is when you are ready. The exchange rate will have an impact so if the Oz dollar slides, expect prices to increase (not immediately). Some of the sponsors also sell used equipment.

Keep in mind these points:
        - what sort of grinder you have/need. As Mal said, this is a very important part of coffee making. if you don't have a good one, factor that into your budget and allow at least $500.
        - what sort of coffee you intend making (espresso/long black/milk-based/all of the above)
        - how many coffees you will be making at a time
        - how much available space you will have for your new kit

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I live in North Brisbane and I have an Iberital MC2 grinder which I think should be good enough. Mainly Cappucchino's, Latte's and Americano's and probably no more than about 4-6 a day. Bench space won't be a problem although I would probably prefer a fairly compact model.

Comment

The VBM Domobar Junior is our pick in the <$2.5k price range. QLD no problem and we have service in place for Brisbane.

Vibiemme Domobar Junior | Talk Coffee

Comment

In that price range you could also consider the Lelit Mara. And a dual boiler - PL60T. (You mention a HX, but I'm guessing you'd be happy with a dual boiler too?)

charlie

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. Not too keen on the styling of the PL60T and probably won't find a double boiler machine with the E61 group head in my budget. It would be nice though. I suppose the machines that that are within or very close to budget are,

Isomac Tea Due
                Expobar Minore IV
                Office Leva
                ECM Barista
                Lelit Mara
                Vibiemme Domobar Junior

I am struggling to find a review that would put any of these machines a cut above the other, made more difficult by my lack of knowledge. I am thinking that it will probably just come down to the best deal and personal preference on styling.

Comment

I suspect your last sentence is correct; they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The coffee produced by any of your choices won't disappoint. Don't rely too heavily on reviews as few have had access to multiple coffee machines to compare. This is where you need expert advice from a retailer who sells or has experience of a wide range of machines. Being able to see these machines in the 'flesh' and even demo'd is a bonus.

Note that the Expobar Minore IV is a E61 double boiler and retails around $2.5K+.

Comment

It's a shame about the Lelit styling, given what they've managed to pack into that machine! That being said - go see the machines in the flesh, the Lelit looks way nicer on a bench than in a promo photo that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post

Note that the Expobar Minore IV is a E61 double boiler and retails around $2.5K+.
                      Yes 25% over budget but available at the moment for $2499.00

Comment

Sunbeam torino fits within the budget!

Comment

Sorry, couldnt resist. OP please disregard my (and Sunbeam's) very poor attempt at a joke

Comment

Even Choice magazine agrees re the Joke:
                            Never The Same Grind Twice!

Comment

What did choice say?

Comment

Working...
                              X