Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to view and buy in Adelaide, VBM Super Lever & Giotto R58

Hello everyone,

I've read my way through quite a bit of the forum and have learnt so much, so thank you to those who contribute. Anyway, I'm at the point where I want to physically touch both machines and get local advice.

Does anyone know where in Adelaide I could look at a VBM or Giotto expresso machine?

I'm essentially after an expresso machine with a double boiler, rotary pump and does steam well (and a conical grinder).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Rio Coffee may have the Giotto 58. Haven't found a VBM on display yet. The Giotto has my eye at the moment.

Gary

Comment

I bought a VBM from Simply Coffee in Kent Town a good few years ago.

Greg

Comment

Thanks Gary, I will head in there this week and Greg, I'm going to give them a call to see if Simply Coffee still carry them. Their website doesn't give much away.

Whilst, I have my eye on a Grinder I don't expect to get hands on with before I buy, I've narrowed things down to two coffee machines, so I really need to physically see them before I decide, as there isn't much between them.

As an additional bit of advice... are the heat up times from cold roughly the same in both machines? Does anyone know, or would have an informed guess?

I'm also not receiving notifications to posts, not sure if anyone else has this issue. Not really an issue, but just thought I'd mention it in case it's a wider problem.

Comment

Why not go to the Double Shot Coffee Fiesta this weekend? Machines on demo and everything coffee in one place. I don't know whether the Super Leva or R58 will be there, but there will be a Pro 700 on demo!

charlie

Comment

Yeah Charlie, I've only just read that it's going to be on, and unfortunately for me I've a commitment on Sunday that I can't wiggle out of. Looks like it would be a great event to go to.

...and Gary I forgot to mention re the R58, I read somewhere in some forum or post to a review that the R58's had some body/frame issues (and I don't know which version that related to). Also, not sure how accurate that comment was, but from memory it was someone who noted them coming back to a supplier. Wish I had bookmarked the comment, all I did was make a note on my notepad about it.

Comment

Ah too bad. I was there last year and it was excellent. FWIW the Pro 700 is on display at Complete Cafe Services when it's not on duty at the Double Shot Fiesta,

charlie

Comment

Are you going again this year Charlie? Really wanting to go, but only found out about it perhaps a minute or two before your post.

I had a brief look at Complete Cafe Services, but for some reason thought they were wholesale only.

Comment

Originally posted by tai View Post
                  I read somewhere in some forum or post to a review that the R58's had some body/frame issues
                  Hi tai,

Do keep in mind that happy owners rarely post their thoughts to the internet.

We have sold well over 100 R58 machines without issue. It's all about percentages....

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    Hi tai,
                    It's all about percentages....
                    Yes, I do realise that. That is why I've included the R58 in my final two choices, and it's a fair point to make. The more units sold, will possibly also push up the fault %.

The fault(s) with the R58 I recall reading though was not appearing to be from an owner but more a tech (and could have been based in the US). If I could find the comment I would post here - so I'll have a look for it whilst I've a bit of time and I'll edit it into this post.

(Edit)
                    I've not quite found the exact place I saw the comment, but this post, covers the problem I read about. Ignore the post topic, it's not about the pump failure... it's about the frame of the R58. The post I originally read said that a I think US supplier stopped shipping them as the frame would bend in freight. Something to do with the weight of the boiler/electrics versus the group head side. The boiler side may of been forcing itself into the other, if handled incorrectly (I think). Not sure if this means it's b/c it's not one piece or is welded on etc. Either way, just thought I'd be transparent with my comment by providing some reference. It still hasn't put me off the R58, but it is something that is in the back of my mind. I'm sort of hoping this problem if it was one, has been sorted.

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso...t23870-20.html
                    Last edited by tai; 23 February 2016, 11:56 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

May have been in early V1 versions which never came to Australia. Impossible on current V2.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                        May have been in early V1 versions which never came to Australia. Impossible on current V2.
                        Thank you Talk Coffee, has put my mind at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by tai View Post
                          expresso machine?
                          Hi tai and welcome to CS!

You still have some reading to do!! ........

EXpresso should only be used when referring to pods, as pods are not ESpresso! ;-D

Good luck with the machine purchase but try not to be influenced too much by something

someone said once.....on the internet.

A genuine ongoing issue will be all over all the web forums in real time....not buried and hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                            Hi tai and welcome to CS!

You still have some reading to do!! ........

EXpresso should only be used when referring to pods, as pods are not ESpresso! ;-D
                            ...just a typo, whilst I write professionally, I'm dyslexic and often auto correct gets the better of me and my own speed. Whilst I didn't notice the typo, I'm not going to correct it, it feels more honest that way.

To be fair, the fault I referred to was seemingly quite common in that model, I recall even some in-video you tube comments, but I just wasn't paying that much attention to note where they were.

I appreciate the welcome, but it felt a bit counterproductive in doing so, as I'm feeling it was a bit condescending in tone.

No worries though.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone, I went to two places suggested here above and unfortunately, neither carry VBM, but they do carry Giotto (but not the model I was wanting to look at).

I was told today in one the shops that my preference for a double boiler versus HX may be a false economy. It was explained to me that in making a few milk drinks in a row, my second tank would run dry, whereas the HX would be one continuous source of water. Anyone add or contradict this view?

I'm also wondering why VBM was 'once' stocked by both shops, but not anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X