Breville BES980 v Sunbeam Torino advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BES980 v Sunbeam Torino advice

I found this forum and how much good info is on here!

Anyway, I've recently sold my old automatic machine and want to get a more of a manual one. I've found the new breville and new sunbeam. Both appear to be good units, with the sunbeam having the solid look.

Anyone on here have experiences of these units? Both are floating around the 1800/ 2000 dollar mark.

Cheers

Sorry, I neglected to search. There's a few Torino comparisons already but any responses welcome.

Comment

Lukesal have you ever used an Italian espresso machine with an E61 group head?

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
        Lukesal have you ever used an Italian espresso machine with an E61 group head?
        No sorry I have not. I'm a novice when coming to coffee machine really.

Comment

I haven't used the Torino but between the two I would get the breville which can be had for 1100-1200 on sale with a grinder.

If you are going to spend near $2k on the Torino, you can get a traditional machine that not only has the solid look of the Torino but also the solid execution/reality.

Cheers

Comment

I also see a an ECM barista from supreme coffee machines as well, which seem to be decent. Sorry for all the questions, but I do like that Italian coffee machine look (like the Torino look) but also want a unit which is good.

Comment

Don't confuse a machine that looks solid with one that looks and actually is solid.

Have a look at the machine guide on talk coffee website, and have a look around here , lots of great info.

Cheers

Comment

Ok thanks will do

Comment

Originally posted by Lukesal View Post
                  I also see a an ECM barista from supreme coffee machines as well, which seem to be decent. Sorry for all the questions, but I do like that Italian coffee machine look (like the Torino look) but also want a unit which is good.
                  I have a German made ECM Giotto for sale for a fraction of the cost it looks like you are about to spend, which will produce a better coffee than any of the types of machines sold in appliance stores. It will also last a lot longer. See my separate post in the For Sale forum.

Comment

Also at the Torino price point, ****** had/has the Expobar Minore on a special. Not sure if it still is available though. As well Talk_Coffee had the VBM Junior available for a CS Only price which is great value!! Better value than the OP brands and model Imo.

Greeny03

Comment

My 2c - bearing in mind I haven't used either the Torino or Breville, but had a Sunbeam EM6910 which is essentially the same as the Torino internally, and now have an ECM double boiler.

No way I would buy the Torino even at half its RRP. The Breville has a reasonable reputation and I would consider it if buying in that price range. Bear in mind that machines will halve in value as soon as you take them out of the box, whereas European-made boiler machines like the ECM and Expobar hold excellent resale value if cared for. My Sunbeam (actually two as the first was replaced under warranty within 12 months) suffered complete and catastrophic failure after 8 or so years of use; the service agent I spoke to were quite impressed with its longevity. It's not uncommon for Italian and German machines older than to come up for sale here in excellent qorking order.

So in terms of total cost of ownership, the more expensive ECMs, Vibiemmes, etc can work out very favourably.

Comment

Thanks for that info Matt. Things are becoming clearer..

Comment

Personally I'd get the BES920+grinder combo which is on sale at $10xx at the moment, As a previous E6910 owner I'd avoid buying Sunbeam again.

Comment

I'm leaning toward the Vibiemme Domobar Junior actually with the Compak K3 Push OD grinder

Comment

You could do a whole lot worse Luke.

The combo represents great and super robust kit.

Happy shopping...

Comment

Working...
                              X