Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boiler or HX machine?

Hi Guys,

I have had my Silvia v4 for about 10 months and I am looking at upgrading to a Expobar Minore V4 with a PID rather then installing a PID on the Silvia.

What is the benefit of the dual boiler or the HX? What is the difference? From what I read, they do the same thing.

I am looking for a machine to have a PID, any recommendations aside from the Expobar?

G'day Arsenal,

Our Buying Guide- Espresso machines | Talk Coffee may be of assistance. It covers off your questions.

Comment

Thank you for the link, interesting read.

Comment

Chris,

You don't seem to have much in the range $2k - $3k in dual boiler. Is there a reason for this?

cheers, Malcolm

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
          G'day Arsenal,

Our Buying Guide- Espresso machines | Talk Coffee may be of assistance. It covers off your questions.
          Just read through your buying guide Chris, you've obviously put a lot of thought and work into this very concise and informative guide, excellent piece of work.

Comment

Originally posted by mjs View Post
            Chris,

You don't seem to have much in the range $2k - $3k in dual boiler. Is there a reason for this?

cheers, Malcolm
            I'd hazard a guess that not too many exist.

Comment

I'm no expert but my understanding is that the kind of technology a HX uses makes having a second boiler unnecessary. They both can do milk and coffee at the same time. I have an HX and the heat is very stable. It seems this is the more popular choice but others can probably shed light on exactly why.

Comment

Originally posted by magnafunk View Post
                Bullseye....Not at a quality which we want to offer for sale. In addition, the overwhelming majority of DB enquiries with a little questioning generally just want simultaneous shot and steam- i.e. HX is perfectly adequate for their requirements.

Comment

+1 DustyRusty. The HX e61 group and its thermo siphon is a brilliant design. A really well made HX will produce excellent coffee. There is around a $1000 jump to a good double boiler with a rotary pump and PID controllers on the two boilers. It is a case of diminishing returns. In your thoughts plan for a grinder that is top notch. The espresso machines are limited to the quality of the grind. I make coffee for various folk after their yoga sessions using a HX Giotto Rocket v3 with a M4D grinder, it is brilliant coffee, the folk love it. I make ~10 cups at a time. Better than anything local they say - sugar not needed!
                  Now I caught the dread 'upgraditis' and was in a position to buy a R58 for home use. It is just different. The coffee is excellent. it would be better at work making the multiple coffees with the two boilers than the HX, we'll see.
                  Both machines are really great.
                  I also started with a Silvia v1.5 but the HX was a quantum jump. So easy, so consistent, no words to describe the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                    Just read through your buying guide Chris, you've obviously put a lot of thought and work into this very concise and informative guide, excellent piece of work.
                    Thanks Yelta,

It's in a continual state of flux and updated regularly- again today. I'm glad that it's proving useful.

Comment

Originally posted by magnafunk View Post
                      This one is on the way - due in June:

Profitec Pro 300

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                        Awesome news. This is going to give the Minore a true competitor at last.
                        Different class in my opinion. Much smaller brew boiler (actively heated?) and smaller steam boiler as well. I'd see it as something akin to what a dual boiler Domobar Piccolo would be if Rick (coffeemachinist) got to it....

ECA looked at the Domobar Junior DB, but it didn't cut it in terms of performance expectations for the Australian market...

No doubt Charlie has done his due diligence and it will work well for tight spaces.

Comment

The Pro300 sounds similar to Breville Dual Boiler in some ways

Comment

Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
                            The Pro300 sounds similar to Breville Dual Boiler in some ways
                            I would guess that the plastic / metal ration would not be similar...

Cheers

Comment

Well, I guess they both have two boilers; after that I think nearly all the similarity ends...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X