Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profitech Pro500 and Compak K3 Grinder

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to a new Profitech Pro500 HX machine and a Compak K3 touch advanced. This is my first 'prosumer' setup and I am loving the combo so far!

I was hoping to find some other people running either of these machines or similar to pick up a few pointers on what has given the best results

Hi Boggas and welcolme.
    I have owned the Pro 500 for almost 1 year now and love it.
    As far as pointers go, it would be helpful to know what machine you upgraded from and where you are on the learning curve.
    ******_Coffee has already nailed it. A good grinder, as you already have, and fresh beans from a roaster (not the supermarkets) are the biggest must haves.
    Happy brewing
    Mal

Comment

Here is a picture of the setup.

I had a sunbeam EM7000 with the matching sunbeam grinder before, so a fairly substantial change. I have just ordered a naked portafilter and a VST basket to try and refine my technique. For beans I am using Fiori which is locally roasted here, but have tried many different boutique beans.

As far as my skill I struggle with consistency, just when I think I am making progress I pour some of the worst shots of my life lol.

What I am struggling with most is identifying what to change for example at the moment I have a really long dwell time (over 10 seconds) then once the stream begins it pours really fast so my shot time is about right, and I don't know what to move grind, dose or tamp.

Thanks for the advice everyone [emoji106]

Comment

Comment

I am having problems uploading photos from my iPad I will try on the PC a bit later.

My last machine was a sunbeam EM7000 and the matching sunbeam grinder, so a substantial change with this machine. I use all locally roasted beans. at the moment Fiori, but I try lots of different roasters. I just ordered a naked porta filter and a VST basket to try and refine my technique, but they haven't arrived yet.

As for my skill, I am inconsistent I can go from the best shots of my life to the worst all on the same day lol. At the moment I have an excessive dwell time (more than 10sec) then a thin crema with bitter tones, but do I coarsen the grind or reduce the dose?

* **** you refer to a precision shower screen? I'm gonna sound like a complete novice but can you elaborate?

Thanks for all the help everyone [emoji106]

Comment

Assuming you're dosing consistently then I think that excessive dwell time points to either too fine a grind, or too high a dose. You can coarsen grind and/or reduce dose and see if that improves things.

Comment

I think it's important that you only change one variable at a time.
              Have you seen the instructional videos on site sponser Espresso Company Australia's web page?
              How to Make Coffee - Coffee Machine Steam Grinders Makers Commercial Domestic Italian Automatic.

Comment

I am going to have a play tomorrow. I use the Scottie callaghan dosing tools and follow his tap to settle regime, so at a minimum I know my dose is consistent.

I am going to try grind first then reset and try dose to see what gives me a better result I think.

Brewster I haven't watched that specific video but I will tonight [emoji106]

Comment

Get a scale and measure the right dose for the basket. Use the same scale or some other to see what 30lbs feels like. Then look at how long it runs and play around with the grind.

Comment

Originally posted by jtaus67 View Post
                    Get a scale and measure the right dose for the basket. Use the same scale or some other to see what 30lbs feels like. Then look at how long it runs and play around with the grind.
                    I have a 17 gram basket but if I put 17g in it the basket is so empty that I end up with a soggy mess at the end. so I ended up switching to a 22 gram dose in a 17 gram basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Boggas View Post
                      I have a 17 gram basket but if I put 17g in it the basket is so empty that I end up with a soggy mess at the end. so I ended up switching to a 22 gram dose in a 17 gram basket.
                      TBH I've never found that I've improved my coffee by overfilling the designed volume of the VST basket. That would be part of your dwell time/resistance problem. Forget what you're used to from your EM7000. Coarsen up the grind a little, use 18g (or 19 grams if you're desperate) of coffee, try getting drips by 5 seconds, and finish your shot around 25 seconds.

It'll be a little bit soggy, but it's nothing too much to worry about. If you're not liking the mess, just leave it in the portafilter a little longer after unlocking it from the grouphead before knocking it out.

Comment

Ok it seems I have developed some bad habits in my dosing. Tomorrow I am going to reset and try again!

I will keep everyone posted

Comment

Hi Boggas,

I bought the Pro 500 and Quamar Q50P from * **** recently....very happy with both. This is my first prosumer machine as well so have nothing to compare it to but I did a lot of research prior to the purchase. It seems very well built, looks great and is very quite for a vibration pump machine.
                          Fair to say that I had (and still have) a lot to learn, it's been a steep learning curve. I found measuring each dose on a scale to help out a lot, as did getting a naked portafilter. Prior to that my results were quite inconsistant.

Shout out to Paul at * **** as well, been a pleasure to deal with and and has helped me out a lot post purchase. Fair to say that my coffee intake has increased considerably :-)

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                            Click here for a barista 101 video:
                            https://sites.google.com/site/thekbean/training
                            I like the ECM video. Except the bit where they put sugar in it at the end!!!

Comment

The precision shower screen is a single layer screen to replace the generic one. I wouldn't say it will improve the extraction but the smooth surface does make it easier to keep clean.

Determine your dose level (5 cent test) , keep this and your dose constant and adjust grind to get the time/quantity where you want it.

Rule of thumb is about 60 ml from a double in approx 30 secs. Adjust to taste from there.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X