No announcement yet.

Endless obsession with extracting a "honey" like shot from my Breville Oracle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless obsession with extracting a "honey" like shot from my Breville Oracle

If I put together a short video, can you guys help me determine why my Oracle is unable to pull a shot like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOLZbRmC9mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84_EsTeyWj4

Or the end of that video, the crema looks great, and the espresso looks thick....

I'm not getting a great honey like shot throughout, it's watery way too soon, and blonde too soon. My beans are home roasted, 1-5 days old usually.

I'm beginning to think it's a dosage issue, I'm unable to increase the dosage, which I believe would fix all of this.

Perhaps i'm over thinking all of this....

Your shot sounds under extracted and I'd say that your beans are still green. Breville recommends using beans 5-20 days after roast.
    Then adjusting the grind to a finer setting
    Correct, you can't increase the dosage, but you can increase the tamp force.

Comment

Are you using the single or double shot basket? How much are you dosing into the basket?

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
        Are you using the single or double shot basket? How much are you dosing into the basket?
        I use a double basket which came with the machine + 21g of beans into the grinder and then double shot

Comment

It could also be your beans. Maybe try another (non supermarket) brand and see if there is any change

Comment

You probably just need to grind finer. You may even be over dosing it a bit. But just change one thing at a time so try grinding finer by just moving one increment at a time on your grinder.

Comment

21 gms that is a lot. I use 14gms and have a nice taste in the cups. Perhaps lower the amount and see if the grinder will produce the taste. But of course, each to his own

Comment

I just worked on a new Oracle. I didn't get a superb shot until I adjusted the grind fine, decreased tamp pressure and time and set preinfusion to 60% pump pressure for 24 seconds.

... but it was a great shot! Esperanza 10 days' post roast.

Comment

Originally posted by sprezzatura View Post
                  I just worked on a new Oracle. I didn't get a superb shot until I adjusted the grind fine, decreased tamp pressure and time and set preinfusion to 60% pump pressure for 24 seconds.

Can you take a video of the settings, then the shot pulling (double shot) please? I would be very grateful. I'll go ahead and do the same with your settings after I see the setup and shot pour.

I double checked the level of roast of our beans with an expert at the place we buy them, he said they are fine, beans aren't the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeNewebie View Post
                    Can you take a video of the settings, then the shot pulling (double shot) please? I would be very grateful. I'll go ahead and do the same with your settings after I see the setup and shot pour.

I double checked the level of roast of our beans with an expert at the place we buy them, he said they are fine, beans aren't the issue.
                    Ok! I'll give it a shot tomorrow - I have the machine for a few more days.

Comment

Ok! I'll give it a shot tomorrow - I have the machine for a few more days.
                      Many thanks. On your two ounce shots, is it two ounces with the crema or without?

Comment

Many thanks. On your two ounce shots, is it two ounces with the crema or without?
                        I don't do two ounce shots; I can try two ounces but crema diminishes when more hot water is forced through coffee; it depends on the coffee too. CS has some high-crema varieties. I have some SO Ethiopian so we'll see what happens, hey?

Comment

I don't do 2 oz shots either, nor do I weigh my shots, my drink of choice is a Lungo, approx 80ml in 30 seconds, crema is never a problem.

If I were weighing shots would include crema, pretty difficult not to.

I have a Lungo in front of me now, extracted from 18 grams of Ethiopian Gambella roasted 5 days ago, thick layer of crema, viscous mouth feel and big cocoa flavours.
                          Last edited by Yelta; 29 June 2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Agreed. Fresh beans. Grind finer. Tamp lighter. If you can't get the handle in - put a little less in. If the puck is soggy - a little more.
                            Cheers Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                              I don't do 2 oz shots either, nor do I weigh my shots, my drink of choice is a Lungo, approx 80ml in 30 seconds, crema is never a problem.

If I were weighing shots would include crema, pretty difficult not to.

I have a Lungo in front of me now, extracted from 18 grams of Ethiopian Gambella roasted 5 days ago, thick layer of crema, thick viscous mouth feel and big cocoa flavours.
                              I have some Gambella coming tomorrow - very excited to see it as espresso! Maybe I can keep the Oracle on the bench another week [emoji14]

Comment

Working...
                              X