Bezzera BZ10 + Quamar. "Second" impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezzera BZ10 + Quamar. "Second" impressions

Okay... Okay... after my first impressions post on the Bezzera - see here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post584878

As i said, i was waiting for a few things to fall into my favour before pressing GO. So off I went to visit Paul (* ****) this morning to pick up my shiny new Bezzera. Its a pretty and shiny box and will replace the Gaggia Baby that has served me well for over 7 years. It just the upgrade bug kicked in and wanted a brand new rig. I had a budget in mind, the Rocket Giotto just was a bit outside of it, (to use a footy term) i lowered the eyes and this little Italian was in the right area.

Small and sleek to fit onto my coffee counter the Bezzera had the same width and height as the Gaggia, just with a bit more depth.

Paul looked after me and partnered up the machine with a new Quamar grinder that is a great upgrade from the Breville Smart. I can't bring myself to part with the smart just yet so it'll be relegated to the Decaf and filter grinder for the time being.

I haven't taken it through its paces yet and as i'll be fine tuning everything over the next couple of days. I'll report back with a full review in the coming days and i'll probably be more happy to field any questions on both as they will become the daily drivers from tomorrow.

The line up

Before pics:

After pics:

And one more with the bench full.

Still need to put a shelf up to complete the area, once that is done, i'll show off the full counter space .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tannyboy; 30 July 2016, 08:47 PM. Reason: more images

Are they Marimekko cups that I see on top of your machine? I fly Finnair sometimes and they look strangely familiar. You didn't lift them off AY90, did you?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyF View Post
      Are they Marimekko cups that I see on top of your machine? I fly Finnair sometimes and they look strangely familiar. You didn't lift them off AY90, did you?
      Haha. Lift is such an unkind word.

In flight shopping is a dangerous thing when your wife loves Scandinavian design. Was in Helsinki this time last year. Also in economy you only get the paper versions.

And that's keen eye you have.

Comment

I've had quite a lot of coffee served to me in those cups. I'm pleased that they were purchased. As you say lifted has such negative connotations, but I do hear that it happens sometimes.

Comment

I've had quite a lot of coffee served to me in those cups. I'm pleased that they were purchased. As you say lifted has such negative connotations, but I do hear that it happens sometimes.
          Werent the only purchases too haha

Comment

Originally posted by tannyboy View Post
            Werent the only purchases too haha
            I purchased a model Finnair Airbus A350 as it was my first time flying on the new plane. I'm into planes. I got it to and back from Europe only to discover that I had two left wings.

Comment

I got it to and back from Europe only to discover that I had two left wings.
              There goes your dream of winning the chicken dance contest

Comment

Great review Tannyboy, love the photos...looks slick.

Wondering if you have compared the Smart grinder vs Quamar on the BZ10?

I have recently purchased a BZ10 also but still got a Smart Grinder, not sure if I should upgrade as it currently makes awesome coffees (for my standards anyway, I also only use fresh beans so maybe this helps too) as its a case of I don't know what I don't know I guess.

Comment

Thanks for the tip *****, yeh Ill propably go the Macap when its time to change or when I get the upgrade bug.

Wow that Lelit looks awesome. I Thought the BZ10 was nice and compact, this seems even more compact and more narrow I presume?

Comment

Hi tannyboy,
                    I'd be very interested to hear further as I've set my mind on the bezzera bz10 as my first ever espresso machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbounce View Post
                      Great review Tannyboy, love the photos...looks slick.

Wondering if you have compared the Smart grinder vs Quamar on the BZ10?

I have recently purchased a BZ10 also but still got a Smart Grinder, not sure if I should upgrade as it currently makes awesome coffees (for my standards anyway, I also only use fresh beans so maybe this helps too) as its a case of I don't know what I don't know I guess.
                      Hey JBounce, I haven't compared them directly - eg. bean to bean - but the Smart grinder holds it own with the Decaf beans that runs through it. The Quamar is a peach though, easy to dial in ad the on the side timer works well (gets me within a gram or so of my intended weight)

Not only cleaner to use than the Smart, the grinds that come out are nice and don't clump (the smart does quite a bit).

As Paul said, if you are in no rush to upgrade stick with the Smart - i was going to but ended up finding a bit more room in my upgrade budget for a grinder. Paul packaged up a grinder along with the BZ10 and this setup will serve me well for many years.

The Smart will stay with me until it dies, then probably consider another Quamar or M2M for decaf duties.

Yell out if you want more info

Comment

Originally posted by benissimmo View Post
                        Hi tannyboy,
                        I'd be very interested to hear further as I've set my mind on the bezzera bz10 as my first ever espresso machine.

Ok i think i'm in a bit of a position to give my 2 cents on the BZ10 now. Its been about 3 weeks (according to my first post in here) since I've had the machine. Again, can't praise it enough. Bang for buck i'm a big fan.

I also have a Pesado 58.5 20g basket in here; considering i've only a 58mm tamper (will change soon) i'm not eeking out all the performance from the little rig.

I'll try to structure my review a little bit.

Design

- I like the styling, a bit different than some of the standard e61 groups and I'm a fan of the look of the toggles.
                        - Finish is great, solid machine and nothing rattles.
                        - Stainless steel everywhere, i'm now a bit pedantic about giving it a wipe down to get rid of the streaks
                        - Sizewise, perfect on my bench, any smaller would seem small. Happily fits enough cups on the cup warmer for a two person household.

As an aside I'll be popping in an order with Leon for some lovely wooden bling for the portafilers and toggles (and tamper) to complete the kit.

Usability/Operation

- A bit noisy on initial start up in the morning to fill up the boiler and when its whisper quiet (in the morning) you can hear the boiler doing it's thing. Beyond minor to me as the grinder makes much more noise than either of those things.
                        - Boiler gets up to pressure in about 10 minutes and the head give it another 5 minutes after its ready to go (if you need to). I generally let it heat up about 30 minutes before pulling a shot and its good to go.
                        - No e61 lever, but the brew toggle is solid and easy enough to flick on and off to start the water flowing through the group.
                        - The steam is dry from the 2 holed tip, the toggles are great (i think), lock it on by flicking it up and away you go. Happily would steam for a good while and pumps though a 600ml jug with ease (i'll pop in a time here tomorrow (i'll time it tomorrow for those interested)) [oodles faster than the gaggia). For the 300ml jug, its sub 15 secs i'd say, its fast.
                        - The wand is pretty easy to position into place with good pivotability for the user.
                        - A bit of a downer is the water tap on the other side, its a bit on the short side so you get hit by the steam coming from that if you don't direct it right. Minor, but something to take note.
                        - The safety cut off when the water level is low, works quite well. Found out in the first couple of days in using it. Just stops to save the internals. Nifty little feature when you are half awake in the morning brewing and haven't checked the water levels in the tank. Keep it filled, and its a happy machine.
                        - I'm sure i don't have to do it, but i flush it for a couple of seconds before locking in and pulling a shot. (force of habit)
                        - Noise when pulling a shot, not that loud - when it gets up to pressure, quiets right down.

Taste
                        - Yum... some of the bean blends that i had on rotation with the gaggia taste different. More body and more... well... interesting. Could be a combo of the change of grinder too. My novice taste buds, but works well for me.

I didn't go into the technicals as to me its a great machine with a lot going for it. For the price, its great. For my budget it and bench space it fit the bill. Sure its a not an e61 - but Bezzera seems to know what they are doing with the BZ10 The quick ready time is a great bonus to a top notch machine.

Also for those interested, if you are after an IMS screen, the Silvia screen fits but needs a new screw (by the looks of things), i'll hit up masters/bunnings for a screw with a different head and install on the weekend. I'll report back then.

Comment

FYI.

IMS screen that fits in Rancilio happily fits in the BZ10 (with a pan head screw)

Apologies, no tripod

Comment

Originally posted by PeteSzad
                            Oh yeah, I wish I read this before buying as it shows a 10 degree temperature range : http://www.home-barista.com/espresso...me-t19646.html
                            Cant compare 110v machines to 240v ones. Every American hx thread talks about requiring a cooling shot before making espresso, only poorly set up australian hx machines need one.

Comment

Tapatalk[emoji12]

Comment

Working...
                              X