Another recommend me a machine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another recommend me a machine thread

I'm in the market to upgrade my Bes920 and Smart grinder. Although I have a budget in mind, I prefer the right combo for the job over a set budget, so don't get put off by the category this thread is in. My day to day use is nothing out of the ordinary (4 - 5 shots) and I get pretty good coffee from my Behmor roasted beans and Breville gear. The driver for the new combo is that once a week I have a few people over and find myself needing to pump out 9 or 10 coffees and hot chocolates in a row. My Breville gear has been up to the job but it is starting to take way too long to make that many coffees and I would like some time back with my guests. Mid 30sec for a double shot grind and near 2min to foam milk for 1 cup. My equipment has been well loved and probably over worked, so any recommendations?

Speed, reliability and low noise are the requirements.

Thanks in advance!!

The speed gain will only be in the grinding and steaming. Pulling a shot will be the same, unless you get a 2 group.

So look for a grinder that grinds fast.

Most "traditional" HX or DB machines will have quicker steaming than the breville, especially with tips tact have larger overall hole area for more steam flow. Although it will be a bit trickier getting great microfoam.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks artman and Paul. I've looked at plenty of buyer guides and researched as much as I can but my question is really around pumping out 10 maybe 15 of a mix of coffee and chocolates one after the other, are all machines going to back up and be consistent time and time again? Do some machines foam quicker and better or after a certain price is the cost all in aesthetics? Is any going to be more reliable long term? I want to try to narrow down my selection before I go too far down any one track.

As far as the grinder goes I have been keeping my eye on the talk around the E5 and M4D. Both sound like they pump out a good quick shot and are in a reasonable price range. Unless I'm missing something I don't know if I would need to go to anything better than either of those?

Comment

Gday Dan,
        I understand your pain I used to have a sunbeam em 6910 and then a 7000. The time to texture the milk was terrible.

As Paul and art said if you move to a High end HX or DB you will notice a massive difference. I have a pro500 and can texture a 300ml jug before my shot has finished extraction with a 4 hole tip.

As for grind time my compak k3 will dose a VST 20g in approximately 20 seconds which I don't think is too bad. But, if you want very fast, but consistent your in the conical burr world.

Comment

Originally posted by Boggas View Post

As for grind time my compak k3 will dose a VST 20g in approximately 20 seconds which I don't think is too bad. But, if you want very fast, but consistent your in the conical burr world.
          note: macap m4d ( flat burr ) is about 10.5 seconds for 18 gm dose, 7.5s for single dose ~8.5g

reason for edit: Sorry i rushed my earlier figures
          Last edited by brettreaby; 28 August 2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Have a look at the Profitec Pro T64 too. My T64 at home is dosing an 18g VST in 6.4 sec!

charlie

Comment

Gday Dan,
              I understand your pain I used to have a sunbeam em 6910 and then a 7000. The time to texture the milk was terrible.

As Paul and art said if you move to a High end HX or DB you will notice a massive difference. I have a pro500 and can texture a 300ml jug before my shot has finished extraction with a 4 hole tip.

For sure! The Pro 500 has a 2.1l boiler regulated with a Sirai pstat(=reliability) and so does a great job of supplying enough steam for the 4 hole steam tip(=speed). Like other modern HX machines in this category it also has a well mounted vibe pump(=low noise).

charlie

Comment

+1 for Profitec T64. Likewise 18g in under 7 seconds in my setup.

Comment

Originally posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
                  Have a look at the Profitec Pro T64 too. My T64 at home is dosing an 18g VST in 6.4 sec!

charlie
                  Wow I didn't realise planar burrs could reach these dose times......... (And upgraditis sets in [emoji16])

Comment

Another recommend me a machine thread

Wow I didn't realise planar burrs could reach these dose times......... (And upgraditis sets in [emoji16])
                    Course they can. Don't want to enable your upgraditis, but just think - if you've got 80mm+ burrs spinning at 1000+rpm you're gonna get your double shot in pretty quick time. Even something like a Super Jolly is <12sec/ double!! [emoji12]

Comment

Think about workflow as well dan77 when making your decision. Volumetric dosing could be handy when making a large number of drinks in a short time, especially as you'd be used to using that feature in your Breville.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I have certainly been considering the Pro 500 as well as the Rocket Appartmento and ECM Mech. I really wanted the Izzo Valexia Duetto but can't justify the spend for my basic use. I'm more a set and forget user, cool touch is advantageous since I have young nephew and niece wanting to help sometimes.

I think the Bezzera DG is quite a funky looking machine but I have not seen too much about them. Thoughts?

On the lower end of the price range, how does the Vibiemme Domobar Junior and Bezzera BZ10 stack up?

Comment

Originally posted by dan77 View Post
                          I have certainly been considering the Pro 500 as well as the Rocket Appartmento....
                          The internal build quality of the Appartamento has convinced me. Streets ahead of the Bezzera compact stuff (and without the $$$$ in proprietory Bezzera parts bills). Internal layout and serviceability also blows the VBM into the weeds, though it (VBM) continues to be my bang for buck choice in the <$2.5k bracket.

You wanna see what a Mazzer Major and similar planar grinders do... Think <3 sec doubles...

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                            Volumetric dosing could be handy when making a large number of drinks in a short time, especially as you'd be used to using that feature in your Breville.
                            I'm not a fan of volumetrics for home machines. Way better to watch shots and learn..

Also, think $$$ repair bills when a touch pad or control goes pop.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                              Think about workflow as well dan77 when making your decision. Volumetric dosing could be handy when making a large number of drinks in a short time, especially as you'd be used to using that feature in your Breville.
                              I've been using manual function so that I have the control over the shot. The shot timer is a good feature and probably something I'll want with the new machine.

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                              BZ10 is a great entry level HX but after experiencing the Mara I'm no longer recommending it. The Mara is a little champion.
                              I haven't really warmed to the Lelit machines for some reason. The Mara is the nicest of all of them.

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                              The internal build quality of the Appartamento has convinced me. Streets ahead of the Bezzera compact stuff (and without the $$$$ in proprietory Bezzera parts bills). Internal layout and serviceability also blows the VBM into the weeds, though it (VBM) continues to be my bang for buck choice in the <$2.5k bracket.
                              How important is serviceability for an end user? Is that more around cost for service? Is there anything else that the Appartmento has or VBM does not have? Sorry for all of the questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X