Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM Giotto noisy and aerating coffee

Hi all.

Not been on here for a long time (so long that I couldn't remember my username and changed email since) as my ECM Giotto has been going really well.

It's about a 10 year old machine.

About 3 months ago it was in for service and to replace the pressurestat as it was producing steam and losing pressure.

Now about 1 month ago sometimes when you lower the lever to pull a shot nothing happens and then you need to give it another go or wait a few minutes.
    That problem has mysteriously stopped but now in the last few days the machine makes a noisy rattle and the shot becomes aerated and thin - especially halfway through the shot .

I don't think it's related to the pressurestat and if I had to guess I would say it's the pump gone bad. (I am better fixing cars so I know if the fuel pump is not up to task, it aerates the fuel) :-)

Just thought I run past the experts before I either take it back to the repairer or replace the pump. I am pretty handy , so I think I could replace the pump myself.

Thanks in advance.
    Frank.

Its a fairly simple machine and the pump certainly would not be hard to replace. But I am trying to figure out how air could get into this system. Two options I can think of, is prior to the pump (i.e. a partial blockage causing the pump suction to draw air from a fitting or hole in tube) or from a hole in the heat exchanger where the boiler pressure is higher than pump pressure. Confirm water tank is full.

I'd check the pump suction line first.

Must confess I am just guessing.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Yeah, thinking about where the pump is in the system it doesn't make too much sense, but it sounds like it might be the pump. Having said that, the problem is intermittent and the machine has been working fine the last day or so.

I ordered a pump anyway, for $50 at least I have one ready to go in.

The water tank is definitely full. I will check the pump suction line.

I'll have to wait until it does it again - I hate intermittent problems !

Cheers,
      Frank.

Comment

An intermittent fault would suggest the either a connection is loose or you have a bad earth or broken wire.

Comment

Hi Frank as a fellow Mechanic it needs mentioning that we are dealing with 240V here.

With the intermittent problem -
          " Now about 1 month ago sometimes when you lower the lever to pull a shot nothing happens and then you need to give it another go or wait a few minutes."

its maybe worth checking the Lever Cam / Plunger Switch that operates the pump / e61 group when doing a shot.
          they are known to wear and or at times get out of adjustment.
          Once checked / adjusted a little food grade silicone grease on the cam and on the switch plunger tip never goes astray.

As for the other - " but now in the last few days the machine makes a noisy rattle and the shot becomes aerated and thin - especially halfway through the shot."

A thought here is again check the basic things through first - as you mentioned "halfway thru the shot" - Can it be assumed that your Beans are Fresh ( 3-4 weeks at most from roast date) and the Grind / Dose / Tamp are ok.
          As an example here in Sth East Qld where the change of season - Spring starts with a bang first week in September.
          So I've experienced a noticeable change in shot characteristic and needed to adjust to grind finer.
          (As an example - Super Jolly that has 10 main sectors around the full 360 degree dial, And 10points within each sector. So I adjusted finer by 1 full point to bring my shot back to a 35sec pour from the sudden seasonal change that saw a thin quick 20-25sec shot as I said as a change of season effect. *During the course of a season my only need to change grind settings would be a 1/4 or at most a 1/3 of this range).

So at least before you go to the expense of major repairs, I just thought it was worth raising these thoughts as a cross check.

Frank Good Luck with it.
          Cheers Peter

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - I have some things to follow up.

Nothing has really changed withe beans/grind/dose/tamp - this issue started a few weeks ago before the last few days of warmer weather. I generally go for a ~25 shot.

But I was thinking about the lever cam/ plunger switch too - probably the first thing to check would be that and any loose connections.

Will update with findings.

Cheers.
            Frank.

Comment

Working...
            X