My Setup Complete Now. Wega Mini Nova Classic / Macap M4D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Setup Complete Now. Wega Mini Nova Classic / Macap M4D

I bought the Wega Mini Nova Classic first from Leaf Bean Machine down in Bibra Lake. It is a E61 HX with a 2L boiler. Beautiful machine, simple, elegant and makes a wickedly good espresso.

Next was the Macap M4D Grinder purchased from Paul at * ****.

The final things to finish off also from * **** are...

Pesado 58.5 mm Tamper

SS Pesado Portafilter and Handle.

IMS B70 2T H26.5 Basket and an IMS Shower screen.

It is all done now and I just pulled a perfect Espresso. I have to say having a nice aftermarket portafilter is nice. It is made of Stainless Steel and so a bit lighter but it heats up quickly enough.

The IMS basket is easy enough to get good shots from. I weighed each shot then put that in the too hard basket and did it on volume and that worked fine. The volume is almost a level portafilter full, almost. I have got it consistently pulling good shots now which is great. The Macap M4D has got a huge amount of adjustment to do it finer if necessary. It is at about 7.5 at the moment.

The grinder works well. I certainly can't complain about the fineness of the adjustment. Holy crap, the most minute adjustments can be made. The timer is useful but as I am still experimenting with baskets and volumes for the IMS, I'm doing it manually most of the time.

HX machines like this seem to run close to optimum temperature without pulling a warming or cooling shot. I mainly draw a small amount of water through just to warm up the portafilter but it doesn't seem to run hot. My Bezzera was like this too. It never really ran hot.

The steam on this machine is obviously more than adequate in fact I traded the five hole tip for a four hole tip to slow the rate down. I haven't timed it but for small amounts of soy milk, it is too fast and needs fewer holes if anything although I am getting good results. A 2L boiler is a 2L boiler. I'd be surprised if it wasn't sufficient for pumping out drinks pretty fast although at our gatherings it is mainly espresso.

I feel I have got everything sorted now. Scales helped to set things up but my preference is NOT to use them as they are a pain to use. I like a system that works and I can do espressos quickly without fussing too much over each shot.
    Attached Files

Looking great!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
      Looking great!

Cheers
      Thanks. Money parted with, hopefully setup for a long time to come.

Now time to just enjoy and no more changes for a while.

Comment

I reckon you have upgradeitis cured for at least a year!

The grinder I reckon is a keeper, the only reason I would see to change the machine is for a lever if that's your thing.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
          I reckon you have upgradeitis cured for at least a year!

The grinder I reckon is a keeper, the only reason I would see to change the machine is for a lever if that's your thing.

Cheers
          It isn't like electronics which have progressed at a huge rate. Espresso seems pretty static to me. They make a big deal out of re-badging the same stuff, witness the Giotti machine wars. You can only do so much to get coffee to 93 degrees under 9 bar pressure and pump it through the portafilter.

The 20 year old Bezzera BZ40P will produce coffee every bit as good as any E61 machine, which itself, is old technology from 1961.

To me it is then antithesis of modern technology which is why I like the basic machines, the minimum number of parts needed to get the job done.

I guess if you go back to a lever machine that is even more basic in that you dispense with a pump but it looks like hard work to get an espresso, electric pumps were a good invention.

Comment

Working...
          X