Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E61 issues on La Nuova Era Cuadra

Hi all,

Sometime ago, I was pretty lucky to receive a free upgrade from my Oscar to an La Nuova Era Cuadra. I was given this from a mate 2nd hand. I was pretty stoked to get it for free and in relatively good nick, so I thought.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to work out issues with the group head. First of all, it does not heat up, unless I give it a flash. After that, it does nothing but dance and flash boil every flush, no matter how long it's been sitting between flushes. The only exception to this is if I refill the reservoir with cold filtered water(not ideal but gives a great shot). Brew pressure sits at 1 bar once properly heated. I'm also inclined to think my OPV is cactus as it pops and gargles when on and especially heating up. The brew pressure drops to around .7 Bar when brewing (is this normal?) Could the OPV be causing my problems?

When I've finally looked inside, I've noticed significant calcification around the boiler. Can only assume how bad it is on the inside. I was led to believe it was backflushed reguarly but not sure how often it's been descaled if ever. Pics attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_122052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	759193Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160726_122154.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	759194

So in wondering a couple of things.

1. Is this machine with fixing?
    2. What is the likely problem with the head?
    3. What would you expect a tech to fix and how much?

Ive just invested in a new grinder so hopefully I can get away without needing a new machine too for another few years.

I also forgot to mention that the head burps and splatters steam when the lever is in the middle position. Might be worth mentioning.

It certainly has been leaking for a while. I would get a quote regarding getting it fixed. Then you are in a better position to decide its fate

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      It certainly has been leaking for a while. I would get a quote regarding getting it fixed. Then you are in a better position to decide its fate

Agree...

Especially given that you received the machine for nix...

Mal.

Comment

Any idea what the cause of the group head issue would be?

Comment

Originally posted by calaper View Post
          Any idea what the cause of the group head issue would be?
          Could be anything mate...
          It's why Stan suggested getting it sussed out by a professional.
          By the way, that "calcification" you refer to, isn't. Rather, it is galvanic corrosion by-products as a result of dissimilar metals being exposed to wet conditions. Might even be worse inside the boiler...

Mal.

Comment

Hello calaper,

Your machine has multiple issues including leaks which need to be attended to.

There's a couple of hours of tech time there from what I can see.

Comment

Oooh yeah that doesn't look flash. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed, but it definitely needs a professional to have a look.

Comment

Last one I did which was in similar condition to yours cost $850.

It had a pinhole leak in the boiler along with several other leaks (like yours) and stack of other problems.
                It needed a new boiler, steam wand, group head rebuild, pressurestat, several pipes plus testing and calibration.

The group also overheated but not as bad as yours sounds. A flush for 10-20 seconds would cool it sufficiently.
                I think the machine would benefit from a thermosiphon restrictor.

Comment

Ouch, that is a lot of coin. Oh well. Better take it off to get a health check then and see what we come up with. I'll get back to you guys once I know the damage.

Comment

Originally posted by calaper View Post
                    Ouch, that is a lot of coin. Oh well. Better take it off to get a health check then and see what we come up with. I'll get back to you guys once I know the damage.
                    True $850 is a bit different to a 'free' machine. But if you look at what that person got for $850 it's pretty good value really.

Comment

So I've had the machine to the tech. A couple of pin hole leaks. Needs a new Thermosyphon restrictor. New OPV. Boiler also needs a flush. Waiting on price.

What would a new boiler cost or can they be brazed back up considering the sizes of the holes? Pressure is still good in the boiler. Apparently the gunk around it has sort of sealed the holes for now.

Sounds like if I bought a new boiler I could do most of the repairs myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X