Buying/selling advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying/selling advice please

Hi all. I've owned my v3Sylvia for a few years now. I've been happy with is since installing a pid. Im thinking of upgrading to either new or quality used. I'm wanting to know whether I'll greatly increase the shot quality if I change up? The Sylvia is quite slow, but I can live with that as I rarely make more than 2 milk based at a time. I roast my own and monitor water temp regularly, so is it worth me changing?
    if so, any suggestions or budget of 2k max?
    steve.

If your technique and ingredients are right, I doubt you will get an increase in shot quality, incremental improvement at best. PID silvia should be capable of ripper shots. You will obviously gain the ability to have steam and more of it when you need it (assuming you will go a HX/dual boiler) and more bling and obviously a new toy! The bigger machines are nice to use.

Whether the upgrade is worth it for you is something that only you will know. Go have a play with some and see what you think.

You haven't mentioned what grinder you have, an upgrade in this department will probably have more effect on the shot quality than the machine upgrade.

Cheers

Comment

Agree with Artman...

If quality in the cup is your primary concern, maybe a grinder upgrade will achieve all of what you're hunting for.
      Also, if the PID Controller fitted to the Silvia includes Steam Control, then the Steam Output Power should be fairly decent, and very dry too if set between 123-125C. My Imat Mokita performed really well and is quite similar under the bonnet to a Silvia...

If a grinder upgrade is a possibility, which grinder to choose may well be a bit difficult, as we are really spoiled for choice these days from a number of reputable manufacturers. Probably best to visit one or more of our Site Sponsors and check them out for yourself. By way of an example, a Macap M4D is an absolute ripper of a grinder but it isn't the only one...

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I have a decent la pavoni grinder, not sure of the model, about 1250 new I think. Sounds like I should stick to what I have as I would also need to move a cupboard higher to fit a new machine in. The pid is not coffee machine specific so no steam control, but I'm happy with it and generally get better milk than any local coffee spot. Thanks again.

Comment

Sounds like you're in a good place already mate...

Mal.

Comment

Hi Burkeyboy,

The Silvia is a nice machine, but if you were thinking of moving up in the world, I highly recommend the Isomac Tea. As it is a heat exchanger (as opposed to the no-frills single boiler Silvia), it will extract consistently and steam milk without compromising pressure on either side. Believe me, getting a heat exchanger machine is, in my opinion, the video equivalent is like going from VHS to 1080p; a huge jump in quality and experience.

Comment

I moved from a PID'd Sylvia to a VBM Super Domobar with rotary pump. I don't understand why, but apart from the steam power, I am 100% certain I am pulling better shots from the same 'bean input'.

I drive a Toyota 100 Landcruiser. The Domobar and the Cruiser have the same feel (tho' the VBM is unquestionably shinier and quieter). Built like tanks and can do what ever is asked of them. The Sylvia is the equivalent of Toyota RAV.

Comment

Originally posted by spencarr View Post
                I moved from a PID'd Sylvia to a VBM Super Domobar with rotary pump. I don't understand why, but apart from the steam power, I am 100% certain I am pulling better shots from the same 'bean input'.
                This is my experience too moving from a Silvia to an E61 Group machine. My conclusion is that the E61 head is just more forgiving than the Silvia group head.

Comment

Not forgetting the grinder being used in each case...

Mal.

Comment

I hear you Mal, but when I upgraded from the PID'd Sylvia to the VBM I stayed with my trusty old Compak K10 Doser. Another Tank in my Arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                      Isomac Tea, Expobar Leva II and Lelit PL60T are all near the $2k mark. All are nice mid-level machines. It's time for you to start mining the forum for reviews
                      May I add: AMC Alfi & Vibiemme Domobar Junior also are nearing that mark.

Good luck! [emoji4]

Comment

Working...
                      X