Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup steps for Rocket Giotto premium plus V1

Hi all,
    We currently have an NS Oscar. Right or wrong, I'm in the habit if opening the steam knob whenever I turn the machine on from cold. Once steam comes out of the nozzle I turn the steam knob off and leave the Oscar to continue its warm up.
    I'm looking at a used Rocket Giotto premium plus V1 (2009 build).
    Are the cold startup steps the same as our Oscar or can I omitt opening the steam knob on the Rocket ?
    I've read the Rocket user manual but not sure if their instructions are for initial "commissioning" or daily startup.
    Thanks in advance,
    Aaron

No need to turn on the steam knob. Just ensure there is water in the tank, turn the machine on, wait at least 30 minutes to fully warm up and then you're ready.
    The boiler will come up to pressure in about 10-15 mins which you can see from the gauge but you need to wait until the grouphead heats up. I have my Giotto PP on a timer to turn on an hour before I need to use it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply flynnaus.
      That's what I was hoping for, use a timer to start the machine while I'm out, or warm in bed etc !
      I'll look into some sort of small plug in timer that I can program.
      Now, I wonder what the difference between the internals of the Rocket Giotto premium plus and the NS Oscar, that requires the Oscars steam valve to be open on warmup ?
      Cheers Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Azamagnum View Post
        Thanks for the reply flynnaus.
        That's what I was hoping for, use a timer to start the machine while I'm out, or warm in bed etc !
        I'll look into some sort of small plug in timer that I can program.
        Now, I wonder what the difference between the internals of the Rocket Giotto premium plus and the NS Oscar, that requires the Oscars steam valve to be open on warmup ?
        Cheers Aaron

If i understand correctly, the Oscar lacks an over pressure valve (OPV).

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
          If i understand correctly, the Oscar lacks an over pressure valve (OPV).
          It's the lack of an anti vacuum valve that requires you to bleed off false pressure. People have been known to retrofit them to Oscars

Comment

Originally posted by Azamagnum View Post
            Now, I wonder what the difference between the internals of the Rocket Giotto premium plus and the NS Oscar, that requires the Oscars steam valve to be open on warmup ? Cheers Aaron
            As magnafunk has said, it is to bleed off false pressure because an Oscar can't do it automatically.

I have never owned or used an Oscar, so I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that the steam valve has to be open during the entire warm-up period.
            The false pressure must be bled off before it will reach full operating temps, but I suspect you could probably do it differently if you wanted to.

I have an old Elektra MCAL which has no anti-vac, but I don't leave the steam valve open while it heats up. When the gauge shows it has reached working pressure (but it's false) , I open the valve for a short time. For the first second or two, hot air vents from the wand, followed by steam, at which point I close the valve. Meanwhile the pressure drops, the pressure-stat kicks in and the gauge starts to rise again. It takes only a minute or two to get back to full pressure, this time for real.
            A quick warming flush to bring the group up to temp and I'm ready to brew.
            The advantage of this is that I don't have to monitor the machine while it warms up. I can shower, feed the dog, etc., and come back whenever I'm ready.

If my theory is correct and you can do this with an Oscar, you could put it on a timer with the steam OFF and switch it on before you wake up. It would then be at least partly warmed up for when you stumble into the kitchen. A brief bleed from the steam wand and a relatively short time to reach full operating temperature.

Now would be a good time for Oscar owners or former users to confirm or deny my theory.

Comment

Thankyou all who replied,
              I have just picked up our new to us, 2009 Rocket Giotto PP V1 and cant get the smile of my face !
              I cant stop looking the thing. My wife is impressed too, she likes shiny things !
              Now to get some fresh beans an learn how to use it.
              cheers,
              Aaron

Comment

Congrats. You won't be disappointed. I bought my GPPv1 in 2009 and it has served me very well. I hope you have a good grinder.

Comment

Wow, our machines might have been side by side on the assembly line. I'll have to check my serial number.

Hmmm, Ive been using a Rancillio Rocky with my NS Oscar.
                  I hope it will grind fine enough for the Giotto ?

Comment

It should grind fine enough. It will be in the lower numbers. My Rocky worked well with my premium. As I advanced in my coffee skills and seeking the best taste I found it did not have fine enough adjustments. But it should be good to start with. A lot depends of course on the beans and the size of the basket etc,etc. enjoy

Comment

Working...
                    X