Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decent Espresso Machines (DE1) - Any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Espresso Machines (DE1) - Any thoughts?

Does anyone know anything about the how the DE1 is supposed to work or have any thoughts on this machine which will be soon shipping in the US? The website has some incredible claims but doesn't give any real technical detail about how the machine works. I wouldn't take the claims (eg."
    A $1000 espresso machine that makes coffee as well as any $14,000, professional machine. Truly.
    ") seriously at all, except for the following comment from Scott Rao on his blog:

"I’ve tested an early prototype of the Decent machines. Yes. All I can say is that I believe the production machine will outperform any machine in the world when it comes to controlling shots and getting the feedback one would want in order to improve shots. The non-pro Decent machines won’t be able to produce 100s of consecutive shots, but as a home machine or a lab machine, even the DE1 will outperform any commercial machine I’ve ever worked on. I have no concern that I’m overselling the machines. So, please get as hyped as you would like to"

Could the DE1 be a new category killer that re-defines performance and cost for espresso machines?

Grandpa said something to me a long time ago that goes something like "If it sounds too good to be true ......". Good luck to early backers and I look forward to user's review.

Comment

The economics of making these beasts don't change all of a sudden.

Given that their website includes the bizarre claim 'With most home machines, you don't stand a chance of making a decent espresso'.....I think I'll wait for vaguely independent reviews.

I think these chaps bought the license to tech from a Kickstarter product that didn't get across the line. Good luck to them, but I'll hasten slowly.

Comment

Decent are posting a lot about the machine on home barista - and quite a few videos too. They're a sponsor there.

Comment

Thanks Sniff, I'll take a look, not that I'm in the market, I'm pretty satisfied with my 55 year old group head design.

Comment

It will be one of the most significant advancements to espresso in a very long time.

Comment

They're basically saying that they can build one of these for a third of the price...
              http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/shop/vesuvius/

I don't buy it; and won't be buying...

Mal.

Comment

Will do much more than a Vesuvius.

Comment

I had a look on the official site and there are some interesting videos. I wonder what they'll sell for in Australia, a hefty price premium I would think.
                  It's to early to tell if they'll be any good, or the machines longevity, how it works etc. I'm guessing that it's some sort of thermo block/coil that's the cost cutter, not to say it won't be a bad machine for the price. I think people will be keeping an eye on it.

Comment

Have to buy the de1pro to be able to steam at the same time you pull the shot.

Hope it's as good as they say it is. At $2600 Au for the pro its pretty well priced. Base model is $1550 au.

Comment

I'd be interested to see if any site sponsors here would touch it. Seems like a very complicated machine you wouldn't want any random coffee repairer winging a service first try.

I haven't tried a coffee from their machine, but they're selling it as a over complicated super fiddly machine that is the ONLY machine capable of pulling great shots.

Comment

Originally posted by trentski View Post
                        Have to buy the de1pro to be able to steam at the same time you pull the shot.

Hope it's as good as they say it is. At $2600 Au for the pro its pretty well priced. Base model is $1550 au.
                        Pro is going to be closer to $5k AU - DE1+ is the 2600 one.

Comment

In the video, the group head sort of moved when he locked the portafilter !!!

Comment

Originally posted by aussieflicker View Post
                            In the video, the group head sort of moved when he locked the portafilter !!!
                            Looked to me like the whole machine moved. It's a light machine - not much you can do about that...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtW View Post

Could the DE1 be a new category killer that re-defines performance and cost for espresso machines?
                              Would like to be as sure of winning a lottery as I am that this will be a non event.

The web site is all smoke and mirrors.

Comment

Working...
                              X