Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a grinder and an ECM Mechanika IV Profi

Hello all,

Thanks to the kind posters and site sponsors that have touched base with me over the last week or two. This is such a cool community that i've just joined. I visited a site sponsor creamcoffeehouse and bought 3 coffees so am pretty wired! Lovely staff and place.

I looked at ECMs Barista iii and Mechanika iii and they are beautiful, also the ECM Technika iv profi too. Call me strange but I like the top of the Mechanika iv profi (not in store) more than the Technika iv profi.

I'll be seeking firm prices etc this week for a machine and grinder combo and their availability with bench test and calibration prior to pick up/delivery.

Last piece of the puzzle is the grinder side of things. Chatting with people, some advocate the Macap MCM, some advocate Compak K3 and some advocate Quamar. My gut feel is there isn't a bad grinder between those three in actuality for their price point, is it really just a matter of whatever is the cheapest between the three grinders or is there a clear leader of the three?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Mike
    I just jumped onto the forum and was wondering if you got a chance to have a look today.
    Can't go wrong with ECM in my opinion, many happy owners on this forum.
    All grinders you mentioned have a following. All will do the job. The more expensive machines tend to just grind faster and have a bit more bling, but will they produce a better grind for the average person? I very much doubt it.
    You may have seen my little Eureka Mignon grinder while you were there. I was down at Di Bartoli on Thursday for a machine service. Did I drool over the fancier machines? Of course I did, but then common sense kicks in and I realise what a great little grinder I have, it's more than capable.

Mal
    Last edited by Brewster; 10 December 2016, 07:13 PM. Reason: Punctuation.

Comment

Yeah saw it there, super compact little fella it is. I liked the square shape too.

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
        .....almost forgot the plug See some ECM packages here: www.*****.com.au/specials
        Cheers, will have a look.
        Mal has one of the 500s around the corner from me and he loves it. And have you got the Technika and Mechanika back to front? I thought the Technika iV had the solid stainless steel continue up to the cup warmer with an option to plumb in whereas the Mechanika iv is cheaper and metal rail where the cup warmer is. I think I confused myself, the Mechankia IV is copper boiler with the profi stainless steel and rotary pump. Similar with Technika iv copper and profi stainless steel.

Comment

Originally posted by mtooler View Post
          Cheers, will have a look.
          Mal has one of the 500s around the corner from me and he loves it. And have you got the Technika and Mechanika back to front? I thought the Technika iV had the solid stainless steel continue up to the cup warmer with an option to plumb in whereas the Mechanika iv is cheaper and metal rail where the cup warmer is. I think I confused myself, the Mechankia IV is copper boiler with the profi stainless steel and rotary pump. Similar with Technika iv copper and profi stainless steel.
          I think you're correct, I always thought the T IV was a slightly better quality on the outside than the Mechanika.
          Please correct me if I'm wrong Paul, but do you have the photos on your web site mixed up?
          I also think that both machines have a vibrating/rotary pump option.
          As for the Profitec Pro 500 just around the corner, the invitation to check it out still stands

Cheers
          Mal

Comment

I bought a ECM Mechanika the other month ago coming from a Rancilio Silvia PID and when I was looking they had the Technika beside it, I chose the shape of the Mechanika it suited our old Queenslander with its straight folded sides than the Technika thick rounded sides and we love it, best investment we made for a hx machine.
            Tho there is a lot of beautiful polished stainless steel E61 machines on the market too give you a good headache searching.

Comment

Just on the difference between the Technika and Mechanika - the Technika has a flap to lift to access the water reservoir, the Mechanika you take the whole top off to access it. When I bought my Technika I had hoped I could plumb it in and it wouldn't have been a pain - but turns out my apartment isn't really suitable for plumbing, and so now I'm constantly taking some of my cups off the top to get access to the reservoir. The Mechanika style (also the same on the Profitec Pro 500) would have been much easier.

Comment

Nice short list.
                Don't rule out the Profitec Pro 500. That's a real beauty.
                The only way to know for sure is to get to a showroom and have a play.
                Cheers. Paul

Oh god yes! I'm a huge fan of the Profitec pro range. Really, there's not much difference between the two brands (ECM and Profitec) as they're basically sister companies. Don't quote me on this but I think ECM are 100% German designed and built with the Profitec is German designed but Italian built (?) either way, you're getting a great machine.

As for a grinder? to be honest, if I was going to get either of those machines I'd get the Quamar Q50E polished-up bling of a grinder to match the machine. For the price, I think it's an excellent deal, and the size is just right.

Comment

Originally posted by GunBarista View Post
                  Oh god yes! I'm a huge fan of the Profitec pro range. Really, there's not much difference between the two brands (ECM and Profitec) as they're basically sister companies. Don't quote me on this but I think ECM are 100% German designed and built with the Profitec is German designed but Italian built (?) either way, you're getting a great machine.

As for a grinder? to be honest, if I was going to get either of those machines I'd get the Quamar Q50E polished-up bling of a grinder to match the machine. For the price, I think it's an excellent deal, and the size is just right.
                  I think it's the opposite way round on the design/build thing.

Comment

Hi GB,
                    I won't quote you (as requested) .....but both ECM and Profitec domestic machines are designed in Germany and built in Milan, Italy. Both are great quality and choosing between the bands can be difficult without seeing some machines in action yourself.
                    Cheers, Paul
                    Well there ya go!
                    Thanks for the clarification Paul

Comment

I was lucky enough to have a coffeesnob sponsor located only 20mins from me with a price I thought was pretty decent. They're kindly bench testing and calibrating and showing me how to use it too. Everyone was out of the ECM Mechanika Profi IV and delivery was a Jan/Feb deal so I had to find a few hundred more for the ECM Technika Profi IV Rotary with the Stainless Steel boiler.

Ive come some way since my initial $1500 budget querey! Slight overspend on that, but hey we only live once! I got upgraditis before I owned my first machine and grinder! My sincere thanks to all who assisted me in my decision making.

I settled on ECM Technika Profi in stainless steel finish and Chrome Quamar 50P. This will be a cool little set up to learn to make espressos on.

Next upgrade will be to a 3 group machine and i'll start my own cafe :P I'll start a new thread for interested people looking at buying such a combo and let them know with updates how I go over the months as it may help them out.

Cheers

Comment

Oh, I hope my wife never joins coffee snobs and realises how much I just spent haha!

Comment

Oh, I hope my wife never joins coffee snobs and realises how much I just spent haha!
                          Hopefully you don't sleep talk.

Comment

Funny you mentioned that my wife found out when she went into banking online and saw what I spent on the ECM Mechanika so I had to send her on a shopping spree, back in the poor house again

Comment

I told mine not to ask how much haha. Hopefully she thinks $2000s that way!

Comment

Working...
                              X